Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

NIS log-files? records of logins in NIS?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
SirVival

NIS log-files? records of logins in NIS?

#1 Post by SirVival »

I'm currently working in a small company in a debian-sarge (server) / ubuntu (clients) based network.

For user administraton we use NIS, for filesharing NFS. Also we have a centralized home-folder (mounted via nfs), because the ammount of clients/traffic is quite low (20 active clients max., mostly small documents in use).
We are updating our security and for this I'm desperately looking for a good way to log the logins to the Clients / Server. I need to have a record of the userlogins (Who, when, where), so that if neccessary I can trace it back.

So here's my question:
Does the NIS-Server create log files on its own, and if yes, where are they. If no is there a possibility to do so?

Or do I have to aproach his problem from another angle?

If anyone knows a good way I would appreciate his/her help!

And to prevent any useless comments / criticism :roll: : I took over the net like that. Major changes (getting rid of NIS etc...) are not possible, so unfortunately I mostly have to stick to what I have.

Thanks in advance!!!