Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

network troubles

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

network troubles

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi all

I have a broadband router. And I use dhcp to connect/let my machine connect to the Internet.

So now i know that /etc/network/interfaces makes it possible to set up my primary network interface. this is what I have for the primary network interface.

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

So when I boot my box it get's a Network IP right? Yes. So usually it's a random one. I have to set a ip for eth0 manually with ifconfig and restart the network before it works. I need to do this because I specified special NAT rules for that IP.

I hope I made my problem clear. I would like to thank you all in advance.

Pantoffel

Fuffi

#2 Post by Fuffi »

no, your problem isn't clear to me :))

but if you want to set a static ip in den interface file you have to change it to

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

hope this is your problem, otherwise please describe it again :)

#3 Post by Guest »

If I do this then dhcp is not run.

#4 Post by Guest »

I mean, when I modify my settings like that dhcp(client)isn't started at bootup. If I use auto eth0 then dhcp(client) is started.