Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Newly installed apps not appearing in applications menu

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
kungfuzed

Newly installed apps not appearing in applications menu

#1 Post by kungfuzed »

I have a new 180MB network install of Sarge running gnome. When it boots up it goes straight to a command prompt and asks for my login. From there I can type in exec startx to get into gnome. Well, this morning I booted up to the command prompt and decided to install a bunch of games with apt-get before going into gnome. But now when I go into gnome there's no new games in the applications menu. It turns out all the games were saved into /var/games instead of /usr/games. I tried copying the contents of /var/games to /usr/games and restarted but that didn't help. Will I just have to reinstall everything from the gui and not install from the command prompt from now on? Or is there a way to install from the command prompt and have it show up in the gui? I haven't tried any install commands besides apt-get. I'm very new to linux but am very comfortable in DOS. Many more questions to come. Thanks.

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by domecq »

In Gnome menu, go to games and point your mouse cursor there and right-click to find an option to add an application to the menu.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)

kungfuzed

#3 Post by kungfuzed »

Ok, thanks. I'll do that for the games. But I still don't understand where apt-get decides to install program files. Is there a default folder it throws everything into or does the package itself decide that?

domecq
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#4 Post by domecq »

I think it's not apt-get or its graphical tools that take this decision. I think it's something inside the deb package, I mean, predefined by whoever packaged the software.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind (Gandhi)