Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

wxWidgets Installation problem, please help.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Aaragus

wxWidgets Installation problem, please help.

#1 Post by Aaragus »

I'm using debian linux and I am having big problems when I try to compile and install wxWidgets. It has a dependency, it needs GTK+ installed before I can compile it, but when I tried to install the GTK+ it had 3 dependencies- Pango, ATK and GLib. So I tried to install these three programs, I managed to get Pango and GLib installed but when I tried to install ATK it says that GLib version is returning 2.9.2 but it finds version 2.8.0 so it can't go on. I tried uninstalling and installing GLib but it still didn't work.
Just to be clear I'm trying to install:

wxGTK-2.6.2.tar.gz - wxWidgets version 2.6.2
gtk+-2.6.9.tar.gz - GTK+ version 2.6.9
pango-1.11.1.tar.gz - Pango version 1.11.1
atk-1.9.0.tar.bz2 - ATK version 1.9.0
glib-2.9.0.tar.gz - GLIB version 2.9.0

Remember that pango and glib installed but atk had problems with the installation version of glib.

So here are a few questions I have:
Has anyone installed wxWidgets on a Debian system?
Can you tell me what you did to get it working?
Does anyone have wxWidgets in a .deb version so I don't have to worry about its dependencies
Does anyone have any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
Darryl A. Sibeon

argux

#2 Post by argux »

Today's the first time I've tried to compile using debian tools. I'm trying to compile amule.

I installed debian-builder and ran:

Code: Select all

debian-builder --debug-dump-build-deps amule
and it showed me what packages I needed installed for it to compile, telling me which ones were already installed. I installed them and then ran:

apt-get -b source amule
And right now it's compiling. I hope this works for you, too. I mean, debian-builder might help you work out the dependency hell. :)

argux

#3 Post by argux »

Now that I think about it, wxWidgets should be in the repos. I don't know how experienced you are in debian, so I don't want to sound insulting.

Check that you have contrib and non-free sections in your repository.

I think the package is not called wxwidgets, when I search with

aptitude search wx
I see wx-common, wx2.4, wx2.6, etc. You might like to try installing one of those before compiling.