Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

setting up boot for kernel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
SoulNOTHING

setting up boot for kernel

#1 Post by SoulNOTHING »

i just installed two new kernel images

and
2.6.8.1CKO8

i looked through the manuals and it said not to do it in /usr/src/
so i extracted and installed in .
both are configured and installed
im just not sure how to change th boot loader im using lilo because whenever i used grub i get error 17/18

thanks in advance
when the soul is nothing the heart is everything

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

Be more preciese about what images you mean, and what you did. Did you apt-get install something? If yes, what? If not, what do you mean?

Unless you're being more precise, this question isn't answerable.

Maurice

#3 Post by Maurice »

When you do

Code: Select all

apt-get install kernel-image-XXXXXXXX
, then apt wil install the kernel image for you and will edit the grub or lilo automagically.
So then there is no need for other actions.

So indeed, how did you install the images?
The greatest obstacle while discovering the shape of the earth, the oceans and the continents was not ignorence, but the illusion of knowledge.

http://linux-box.nl

SoulNOTHING

#4 Post by SoulNOTHING »

sorry bout that i got the cko performancre kernel from linux militia here http://www.linux-militia.net/kernel/ck/ i got the latest edition then i did make xconfig make and make install it came up with a message afterwards that it i need to cinfiger it to grub.lilo, but it didnt show up

Fior the other one kernel i org download tar.bz2 2.6.8.1 and follew the same procedure and tweaked it to my liking

i installed two differnt kernls because i wanted a new regular one and a performance one

i didnt use apt-get because i wanted to tweak the kernels to my system or will apt-get do that foir me

one side note is that ive had alot of problems with boot loaders on this computer grub especcialy

and also im not even sure if they need to be called images or what
the files ende up being
linux-2.6.8.1-cko8.tar.bz2
and linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2

i hope the info helps and thanks for the help

Jeroen

#5 Post by Jeroen »

I think you can better stick with the images Debian provides, building your own kernel requires knowledge about booting, and I suggest make-kpkg too. If you're not familiar with it, performance increases claimed on all kinds of websites are usually quite exaggerated, the official kernel images perform fine, and cause the least amount of confusion/chance on breaking your system, with free security support.

Personally I do run a home-build kernel, but I compiled one from the offical Debian kernel-source-VERSION package (I want no-module kernels with build-in RAID1 support, since I don't want to run the risk of breaking my system due to broken modules, nor wanted to fiddle with initrd to be able to boot from a RAID1 root filesystem...)

SoulNOTHING

#6 Post by SoulNOTHING »

all right thanks ill give that a try coul possibly explain th kpkg im unaware of that

when i was running fedora two and put on a performance kernel all loadign times decreased by at least 5 seconds so sometimes they do help ill put on that new kernel thanks
i agree with you bout the thing bout braid i only put on working packages and the ones i need

thanks again

Maurice

#7 Post by Maurice »

When you want to install a special kernel, i suggest you should follow the procedure described in this howto: http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

In this way you can create your own kernel, but maintain and install it the debian way.
The greatest obstacle while discovering the shape of the earth, the oceans and the continents was not ignorence, but the illusion of knowledge.

http://linux-box.nl