Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple Ethernet Interfaces

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
quis

Multiple Ethernet Interfaces

#1 Post by quis »

My setup consists of a Debian box with eth0 wired to a wireless router. It gets the address 10.0.0.5 from the router. This is fine for me to backup my laptop over the wireless network, but sometimes a friend will come over and will want to grab some big files off the server. It's slow, and a hassle getting them on the wireless network in the first place.

What I would like to have is a second ethernet card as eth1 (already have the card) which would have a cable trailing out of it. Any guests could then plug their laptop in and get all the services which are available over eth0. The main one is Samba. How realistic/practical is this?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

kink
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by kink »

This is very well doable. Once you have eth1 available, assign it some IP from a private range (e.g. something in the 10.1.x range (since your router already uses 10.0.x) or 192.168.x).

Then connect the laptop through a crosslinked network cable and give the laptop an IP from the same range. You should have all the same services available.

quis

#3 Post by quis »

Works a treat! Thanks. If anyone else is wondering you use ifconfig (as root) to enable the second NIC.