Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dbbolton

#31 Post by dbbolton »

BioTube wrote:The minor patches had nothing to do with the rebranding - the fact that the artwork violated DFSG meant that it couldn't be used and Mozilla refuses to allow use of the name without use of the artwork.
Then iceweasel is violating Mozilla's terms. You will notices that its process id still shows up as firefox-bin. I filed a bug (518569) on this a long time ago but it was ignored:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.de ... 7bcb91fe80
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

BioTube

#32 Post by BioTube »

Mozilla's own unbranded versions run as 'firefox-bin'. Calling that infringement is like saying wodim's cdrecord symlink violates Schilling's rights.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

dbbolton

#33 Post by dbbolton »

BioTube wrote:Mozilla's own unbranded versions run as 'firefox-bin'. Calling that infringement is like saying wodim's cdrecord symlink violates Schilling's rights.
I don't get your analogy, and I guess unbranded versions are like Bon Echo. But what I really don't get is why it is all right for one arbitrary part of the program to keep the name "firefox" while other equally arbitrary parts (imho) like WM_CLASS, the binary, and so on must be renamed.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

Deja-Vu

Re: Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

#34 Post by Deja-Vu »

Firefox is open source, it's the logo thats the problem and thats why debian uses the iceweasel name. The other problem was mozilla wanted to have the debian code for all fixes and updates before debian implemented the code, was the way it was explained to me. My thoughts on the matter is if it's open source then anyone who desires to modify it should be allowed to as long as they stay within the gudelines of the GPL. As for the logo well the logo doesn't have any bearing on the way FF or iceweasel operates. (It's just an icon)
Did i do that?

tombom62

#35 Post by tombom62 »

I don't think it's the same. Firefox is better. In iceweasel, you need to click the tab then close it using the x that only comes up in the tab you're in. I got firefox from the ubuntu repos *Prepares bullet proof suit*
NO signature here.

bugsbunny

#36 Post by bugsbunny »

In iceweasel, you need to click the tab then close it using the x that only comes up in the tab you're in
?????? Tab Mix Plus :: Firefox Add-ons

#37 Post by 987687 »

tombom62 wrote:I don't think it's the same. Firefox is better. In iceweasel, you need to click the tab then close it using the x that only comes up in the tab you're in.
You must be using some weird theme. I have iceweasel on my amd64 machine, and it behaves just like firefox that I use on my 32bit machines. Or maybe you have more than about 30 tabs open.
tombom62 wrote: I got firefox from the ubuntu repos *Prepares bullet proof suit*
Yeah, you are an idiot
Sorry to be blunt... but that's a really really bad idea.
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

tombom62

#38 Post by tombom62 »

987687 wrote:
tombom62 wrote: I got firefox from the ubuntu repos *Prepares bullet proof suit*
Yeah, you are an idiot
Sorry to be blunt... but that's a really really bad idea.
It's fine. It's my choice anyway. I do a lot of stuff to see if it can be done. I don't reccomend it. No big deal, I'm really blunt too. It's kinda stupid, but it worked, and my idea was to see if it worked.
NO signature here.

Soul Singin'

#39 Post by Soul Singin' »

tombom62 wrote:I don't think it's the same. Firefox is better. In iceweasel, you need to click the tab then close it using the x that only comes up in the tab you're in.

I don't think you're right. Iceweasel is better. In iceweasel, you can close any tab at any time by clicking the "X" on that tab regardless of whether you're viewing that tab or not.
tombom62 wrote:I got firefox from the ubuntu repos *Prepares bullet proof suit*
There's no sense in putting on a "bullet proof suit" if you're going to put a gun in your own mouth and play Russian Roulette.

Did you install it from the Intrepid or Jaunty repositories? If so, do you realize that you upgraded libglib2.0-0 and libgtk2.0-0 too? That could completely b0rk all of your GTK+ apps like GIMP, Gnumeric and GNOME.

#40 Post by 987687 »

Hopefully, at the very least, you just grabbed the deb and installed it. Not added the whole repo... otherwise let mass hilarity ensue :P
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

Soul Singin'

#41 Post by Soul Singin' »

tombom62 wrote:I do a lot of stuff to see if it can be done. I don't reccomend it.
But that's not true. You do recommend it.
tombom62's signature wrote:Read My 1st HowTo:
HOWTO: NDISWrapper Without internet on target PC
In that HowTo, you wrote:
tombom62 wrote:download these three files to your usb storage: (I kknow they are on the ubuntu archives but they work for me)
[...]
OK, now off to your Debian Computer to give it a go!
[...]

then:
dpkg -i ndiswrapper-common_1.50-1ubuntu1_all.deb
then:
dpkg -i ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.53-2ubuntu1_xxxxx.deb
(where xxxx... is either i386 or amd64)
Do NOT recommend using Ubuntu DEBs on a Debian system !!! If you want to break your own system, that's your choice, but don't encourage less-knowledgeable people to break theirs.

bugsbunny

#42 Post by bugsbunny »

Did you install it from the Intrepid or Jaunty repositories? If so, do you realize that you upgraded libglib2.0-0 and libgtk2.0-0 too?
While I agree that recommending Ubuntu binaries is foolhardy let's at least be accurate when we make statements like this :)

Ubuntu - firefox depends:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/firefox-3.0

libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0) ((>= 2.14.1 intrepid)
libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.16.0) (also intrepid)

Versions in Debian:
libgtk2.0-0 = 2.12.12-1~lenny1 (lenny), 2.16.1-2 (squeeze and sid)
libglib2.0-0 = 2.16.6-1+lenny1 (lenny), 2.20.0-2 (squeeze), 2.20.1-2 (sid)

So libglib2.0-0 is OK , libgtk2.0-0 is only a problem if installing into stable. I didn't check all the other dependencies though. In any case blindly loading Ubuntu binaries means that when (not if) you break your system you get to keep all the pieces. The key word there is blindly, it can work - if you're careful about which ones. But you're still better off grabbing source only and compiling instead.

tombom62

#44 Post by tombom62 »

Soul Singin' wrote:
tombom62 wrote:I do a lot of stuff to see if it can be done. I don't reccomend it.
But that's not true. You do recommend it.
tombom62's signature wrote:Read My 1st HowTo:
HOWTO: NDISWrapper Without internet on target PC
In that HowTo, you wrote:
tombom62 wrote:download these three files to your usb storage: (I kknow they are on the ubuntu archives but they work for me)
[...]
OK, now off to your Debian Computer to give it a go!
[...]

then:
dpkg -i ndiswrapper-common_1.50-1ubuntu1_all.deb
then:
dpkg -i ndiswrapper-utils-1.9_1.53-2ubuntu1_xxxxx.deb
(where xxxx... is either i386 or amd64)
Do NOT recommend using Ubuntu DEBs on a Debian system !!! If you want to break your own system, that's your choice, but don't encourage less-knowledgeable people to break theirs.
I'll need to fix that. I didn't really know. Only from my experiance. (sp?)
NO signature here.

tombom62

#45 Post by tombom62 »

Well I see my how to has been deleted. Oh well.
NO signature here.

hazard

#46 Post by hazard »

Guys I strongly suges you Songbird, yes true its primary mision is a media player, BUT, it has a fantastic Web Browser integrated, Im just trying it right now and the good thing is that, it's a product of mozilla and is very similar to firefox, apart that there is a plugin that accelerate the browsing, its really awesome!

cheers :)
Everything is relative!

diho

#47 Post by diho »

I also like iceweasel but for the people that wanna use firefox

download the tar.bz2 file to your home directory. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

than in console cd to your home directory

cd /home/your.username

than

mv firefox-3.0.10.tar.bz2 /usr/lib/

cd /usr/lib/

tar -jxvf firefox-3.0.5.tar.bz2

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

but anyway iceweasel is also great to use :)

Anteaus

#48 Post by Anteaus »

Seamonkey is worth a look. It's offered as an all-in-one package similar to the earlier Communicator. In fact I only use the browser component, which I prefer to Firefox/Iceweasel as it's more configurable.

milomak

Re:

#49 Post by milomak »

_FOCUS_ wrote:Well. I understand why debian doesn't use firefox anymore. :D

out of topic; in hotmail service my iceweasel wasn't work. so I made change like that. iceweasel/3.05 doesn't work but firefox/3.05 works.

what happens when you update?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

BioTube

#50 Post by BioTube »

It stays the same.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.