Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

OK everyone! Last time ...

This is the ONLY difference between Firefox and Iceweasel:

Image Image

Iceweasel is WAY cooler!

Na-nah na-nah na-naah! Debian's got a cooler browser!

. . :roll:

kr4ey

#17 Post by kr4ey »

Sorry this tells a different story.

Iceweasel

Firefox

Looks like Firefox wins hands down to me. These are two different browsers.

AdrianTM

#18 Post by AdrianTM »

You either have different settings or most likely the site detects the user string and serves a different page for "other" browsers.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

bugsbunny

#19 Post by bugsbunny »

Nope - it's brain dead browser detection on the part of the site. If they were simply checking for a gecko-engined browser rather than parsing on the browser name they'd be fine. Change your User Agent string (in iceweasel) to firefox and you'll see that they render identically.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check out the difference.
http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

kr4ey

#20 Post by kr4ey »

Thanks. Yes I see that now. But the debate still goes on. Iceweasel is not Firefox. Or should I say why should we have to change the user string in Iceweasel it should be the same as Firefox (at least look the same on some websites). So they are different.
sidux 2009-01

AdrianTM

#21 Post by AdrianTM »

Why the life is unfair and why some people are stupid? (this is how your questions sound to me)

There's a clear explanation why they had to come with Iceweasel instead of Firefox -- that's explained pretty well in this thread and anywhere else were this issue is discussed, why ask again? What's not clear about it?

Second no, they are not the same they have different names and different icons, otherwise they are pretty much the same (save for some patches that Debian keeps the liberty to add)... so... why ask dumb questions? It was already explained why they can't be the "same", and it has already been explained that they are as alike as they can be, what remains unclear?

kr4ey

#22 Post by kr4ey »

Yes I know all about the Iceweasel Firefox debate. I've been using Linux for more than 10 years. Just trying to be a little sarcastic :twisted:

As long as this debate has been going it will never end anytime soon.
sidux 2009-01

AdrianTM

#23 Post by AdrianTM »

I don't see any debate... Mozilla has some principles, Debian has some principles that's the solution that lets both follow their principles, what's the debate about?

BioTube

#24 Post by BioTube »

The real problem is that UAs are used to detect browsers deemed compatible, rather than those known not to be.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

kr4ey

#25 Post by kr4ey »

AdrianTM wrote:what's the debate about?
The title of this thread. Why is there a Iceweasel. There is a difference between the two. I could go on and on.
sidux 2009-01

AdrianTM

#26 Post by AdrianTM »

kr4ey wrote:
AdrianTM wrote:what's the debate about?
The title of this thread. Why is there a Iceweasel. There is a difference between the two. I could go on and on.
Again, what's not clear, it has been clearly explained why there's Iceweasel and what are the differences...

lancelot

#27 Post by lancelot »

I prefer the firefox icon. I even took the pain to change it on my desktop (it's painful if you want to do it completely, doesn't work the standard way).

But I prefer konqueror anyway.

Quantum

#28 Post by Quantum »

I use konqueror, except when it can't handle the javascript on certain sites, so am forced to iceweasel.

Frannie

#29 Post by Frannie »

I've found, after nine days of using Debian 5, it's best to use the programmes supplied in Add/Remove as they are specially configured for easy installation.

Also, I've found that trying to install any Third Party Linux compatible software, is difficult on its own and usually needs a suitable command string inserting in root terminal.

gomsb

Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

#30 Post by gomsb »

Here's another name for you to throw around:

I downloaded the source for firefox--which was all mozilla of course, and
built the binaries (on a powerpc), they run as "Bon Echo".

Whether it is the same as Iceweasel, or not, i have no idea.

dbbolton

#31 Post by dbbolton »

BioTube wrote:The minor patches had nothing to do with the rebranding - the fact that the artwork violated DFSG meant that it couldn't be used and Mozilla refuses to allow use of the name without use of the artwork.
Then iceweasel is violating Mozilla's terms. You will notices that its process id still shows up as firefox-bin. I filed a bug (518569) on this a long time ago but it was ignored:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.de ... 7bcb91fe80
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

BioTube

#32 Post by BioTube »

Mozilla's own unbranded versions run as 'firefox-bin'. Calling that infringement is like saying wodim's cdrecord symlink violates Schilling's rights.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

dbbolton

#33 Post by dbbolton »

BioTube wrote:Mozilla's own unbranded versions run as 'firefox-bin'. Calling that infringement is like saying wodim's cdrecord symlink violates Schilling's rights.
I don't get your analogy, and I guess unbranded versions are like Bon Echo. But what I really don't get is why it is all right for one arbitrary part of the program to keep the name "firefox" while other equally arbitrary parts (imho) like WM_CLASS, the binary, and so on must be renamed.
GitHub | zsh docs in Letter PDF
Telemachus wrote:Put down the CGI.

Deja-Vu

Re: Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

#34 Post by Deja-Vu »

Firefox is open source, it's the logo thats the problem and thats why debian uses the iceweasel name. The other problem was mozilla wanted to have the debian code for all fixes and updates before debian implemented the code, was the way it was explained to me. My thoughts on the matter is if it's open source then anyone who desires to modify it should be allowed to as long as they stay within the gudelines of the GPL. As for the logo well the logo doesn't have any bearing on the way FF or iceweasel operates. (It's just an icon)
Did i do that?

tombom62

Re: Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

#35 Post by tombom62 »

I don't think it's the same. Firefox is better. In iceweasel, you need to click the tab then close it using the x that only comes up in the tab you're in. I got firefox from the ubuntu repos *Prepares bullet proof suit*
NO signature here.