Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Why is there no Firefox in Debian?

#1 Post by Lavene »

Firefox is re-branded Iceweasel in Debian. It's identical in all but the name and artwork. To install:

Code: Select all

# aptitude install iceweasel
Read more! (Wikipedia)

BioTube

#2 Post by BioTube »

You should post this in every forum. God knows they've all had this question(I'm sure you could even find it in the programming one).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Zero

#3 Post by Zero »

Surely only lazy people have not managed to search, and comprehend the difference here? It doesn't take much effort at all.

Caligo Spiritus

#4 Post by Caligo Spiritus »

It's identical in all but the name and artwork.
That's not true - iceweasel has some security tweaks in it's source code, this fact made Debian team to rebrand to iceweasel and change artwork because of incompatibility with mozilla license.
with respect,
Caligo Spiritus.

BioTube

#5 Post by BioTube »

Caligo Spiritus wrote:
It's identical in all but the name and artwork.
That's not true - iceweasel has some security tweaks in it's source code, this fact made Debian team to rebrand to iceweasel and change artwork because of incompatibility with mozilla license.
The minor patches had nothing to do with the rebranding - the fact that the artwork violated DFSG meant that it couldn't be used and Mozilla refuses to allow use of the name without use of the artwork.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

jbdebian

#6 Post by jbdebian »

New Etch install has firefox, /usr/bin/firefox. But as was pointed out, it is iceweasel but program name is "firefox".

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

jbdebian wrote:New Etch install has firefox, /usr/bin/firefox. But as was pointed out, it is iceweasel but program name is "firefox".
It's actually just a link pointing to iceweasel:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin$ ls -l firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 19 nov. 08:53 firefox -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

trey

#8 Post by trey »

It's too bad firefox wasn't just placed in non-free. Epiphany works perfectly.

craigevil

#9 Post by craigevil »

trey wrote:It's too bad firefox wasn't just placed in non-free. Epiphany works perfectly.
And so does Iceweasel :)
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

BioTube

#10 Post by BioTube »

The executable name is 'firefox-bin'.

roseway

#11 Post by roseway »

BioTube wrote:The executable name is 'firefox-bin'.
That's the binary executable, but you don't run it directly. You run the 'firefox' script, which sets up the environment before calling the executable.
Eric

_FOCUS_

#12 Post by _FOCUS_ »

Well. I understand why debian doesn't use firefox anymore. :D

out of topic; in hotmail service my iceweasel wasn't work. so I made change like that. iceweasel/3.05 doesn't work but firefox/3.05 works.

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

#13 Post by 987687 »

I use Shiretoko/3.1b3pre. I have always used the beta version of firefox because it is generally faster than stable. I just put it in /opt and update /usr/bin/firefox to link to the binary in /opt/firefox. And then I made /usr/bin/iceweasel a link to /usr/bin/firefox. And I also un-installed iceweasel, otherwise every time it updated it messed up my links in /usr/bin.
Desktop - 3.2GHz core2 quad
Laptop - 2.4GHz core2 duo ancient macbook
Bring back the penguin!! http://tinyurl.com/d57jwv

hazard

#14 Post by hazard »

I like mostly Opera :P

Soul Singin'

#15 Post by Soul Singin' »

Space occupied so that I can taunt non-Debian users on the top of the next page.

Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

OK everyone! Last time ...

This is the ONLY difference between Firefox and Iceweasel:

Image Image

Iceweasel is WAY cooler!

Na-nah na-nah na-naah! Debian's got a cooler browser!

. . :roll:

kr4ey

#17 Post by kr4ey »

Sorry this tells a different story.

Iceweasel

Firefox

Looks like Firefox wins hands down to me. These are two different browsers.

AdrianTM

#18 Post by AdrianTM »

You either have different settings or most likely the site detects the user string and serves a different page for "other" browsers.
Ubuntu hate is a mental derangement.

bugsbunny

#19 Post by bugsbunny »

Nope - it's brain dead browser detection on the part of the site. If they were simply checking for a gecko-engined browser rather than parsing on the browser name they'd be fine. Change your User Agent string (in iceweasel) to firefox and you'll see that they render identically.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check out the difference.
http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

kr4ey

#20 Post by kr4ey »

Thanks. Yes I see that now. But the debate still goes on. Iceweasel is not Firefox. Or should I say why should we have to change the user string in Iceweasel it should be the same as Firefox (at least look the same on some websites). So they are different.
sidux 2009-01