Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configure debian as a router

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Devil_Dog

Configure debian as a router

#1 Post by Devil_Dog »

Sorry, but I'm new to Linux, but I want to learn and experiment with it. I've sampled various Distros on my laptop (Mandriva, Kubuntu, Knoppix, Suse). I
have an older machine (PentiumII) that I would like to configure as a router to share internet with 2 windows boxes. How hard of a project will this be? I have a basic understanding of networking. Would debian be a good choice for this setup? Is there any threads you guys could point me towards? Any info would be appreciated, thanks

epostma

#2 Post by epostma »

Hi D_D,

How hard of a project it would be depends on how willing you are to learn :wink: Yeah, I would say that Debian is a good choice; it's reasonably suitable for lower-end machines. How much RAM does your machine have? If it's not extremely little, you can probably use fwbuilder which is pretty straightforward.

HTH,