Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

strange mounting problem?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Humbletech99

strange mounting problem?

#1 Post by Humbletech99 »

Hi,
I've got this weird mounting problem: I go to remount an smb share which is already mounted because I need to get it rw and it's only ro at the minute, so I do:

Code: Select all

mount -t smbfs -o remount,rw,username=myuser //hostname/sharename /mnt/folder
Password:
mount error: Invalid argument
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255
I works fine if I take the "remount," out of it, it mounts - covering up what was previously there. The drive was mounted, I can browse the files and it shows up when I do:

Code: Select all

mount|grep sharename
cat /etc/mtab
cat /proc/mounts
All three show it as being mounted, so why the heck doesn't mount think it is? If I then retry the original command with remount I get the same error, even though I manually just mounted it!

Also, even if it wasn't mounted (which is was/is), then shouldn't mount stop wingeing and just mount it?

Scotti
Moderator Team Member
Moderator Team Member

#2 Post by Scotti »

I'm not sure about your issue, but if you want to browse and mount network shares, a GUI I use is xSMBrowser. It does all the mounting stuff for me. Perhaps give that a try.

Humbletech99

#3 Post by Humbletech99 »

cheers, thanks for that, I'll give it a try. I'm just curious why this one machine doesn't play ball when I have done this command countless times on all manner of linux boxes and it's always worked.