Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux Sound / Nvidia

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Chapiums

Linux Sound / Nvidia

#1 Post by Chapiums »

Hi, I have no sound, and i get no errors related to why that i can find. I think I lost sound while trying to get it to play nicely with video. I've checked mixer settings, i'm in the audio group, i've reinstalled alsa / nvidia drivers. No luck.

Since I was working on it some months ago, i think i srewed something up deep down. Perhaps related to /dev/dsp. I'm not sure though. Any clues?

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

You said you get no errors. Is that mean you get no _usable_ error messages, or got no error messages _at_all_?
In the latter case, it is probable that something uses your sound card. Try running
fuser -v /dev/dsp
to see what locks the dsp. I used to get the same effect when some 'sound daemons' was sitting on the dsp, and other programs was not aware of this.

Roeland

#3 Post by Roeland »

Try:

Code: Select all

amixer set Master unmute 75%
(for unmuting your card)

then use alsamixer to double check your settings. I found tkmixer to be a valuable mixer tool, give that one a try too.

-Roeland
Science Center
Debian GNU/Linux flowing through my veins

bakufu

#4 Post by bakufu »

I had to mute few .. umm options from alsamixer.. Before that xmms played music but there was no sound.

After i muted those options, i got sound.. But now i cant adjust volume :D
Since i dont have headphone plug at my speakers i had to put it to back of my computer and cus i cant adjust my volume i cant use headphones because my ears will pop since its so loud :D

Im at school now, i will post later when i get to home what options i muted from alsamixer.

Edit:
Sorry forgot to post those muted sections :) Here they are:
IEC958 C, and External :)
Dont fix it if it works!