Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian sid connects to network but i have no internet!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jackgu1988

debian sid connects to network but i have no internet!

#1 Post by jackgu1988 »

hi! i am running debian sid on an hp hdx 16 (64 bit) with kde 4.3. i always install new updates and my last update was 2 days ago! now when i booted i could connect to the internet but when i try to visit a web address or even run apt-get update, i get nothing! i tried both wicd and kdenetworkmanager but they don't work! i also tried wifi and ethernet and still nothing! also it can not be the network because i can connect using an acer aspire one with debian sid and gnome. i can also ssh to the hp through my acer but still apt-get update does not load! before the shuting down my hp the last time i had internet working i modified /etc/hosts. could this be the problem?

thank you,
jack

mojoman

Re: debian sid connects to network but i have no internet!

#2 Post by mojoman »

could you try to ping a website? Try:

Code: Select all

ping -c 3 74.125.77.104

ping -c 3 www.google.com
Both lead to google. If the first works but the second do not then you have a problem with your dns settings.

Also, post your /etc/hosts.
http://www.debianuserforums.org
By the community. For the community.

jackgu1988

#3 Post by jackgu1988 »

i can't ping! says unknown host www.google.com!

my /etc/hosts:
jack@debian:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 debian.local debian

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

jackgu1988

#4 Post by jackgu1988 »

well my /etc/hosts is the same on both pcs. i use the same localdomain on both and the acer works fine!

jackgu1988

#5 Post by jackgu1988 »

any odeas? still no luck! thank you!

mojoman

#6 Post by mojoman »

jackgu1988 wrote:i can't ping! says unknown host http://www.google.com!
But you could ping 74.125.77.104?

If so, this strongly suggests that you have a problem with resolving ip addresses. You might want to compare /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf on your pcs and see if they differ in regard to settings on name server.

jackgu1988

#7 Post by jackgu1988 »

ok i ll do it tomorrow though first thing in the morning because i have to go now! thanks for your answers!

jackgu1988

#8 Post by jackgu1988 »

ok i can ping 74.125.77.104! the acer's /etc/resolv.conf looks like:

nameserver 217.72.162.2
nameserver 217.72.163.3
while on the hp looks like:

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1
the /etc/network/interfaces looks on both computers like:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

mojoman

#9 Post by mojoman »

Well, have you tried to use the values for the Acer's /etc/resolv.conf on your HP? That might very well do the trick.

EDIT:
Just to clarify. Obviously, the Internet connection on your HP works just fine. It is resolving addresses that is the problem (e.g. translating 74.125.77.104 into www.google.com). This is what your domain name server (dns) does and the configuration file used is normally /etc/resolv.conf.

The dns (as stated in resolv.conf) for your HP points to what I would assume is your router (most routers use 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as IP for the router, which will give the computers connected to the routers IP addresses of 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x). This may well work, assuming your router in turn points to another dns. If you don't have a router, well, then that is obviously your problem but you might very well use external dns even if you have a router. This is what your Acer is doing and since it seems to work you might want to try it in your HP too.

AquaL1te

#10 Post by AquaL1te »

Try:

# arp -av
An ARP request will be send, if you'll get a proper reply then you can rule out a router network connection problem, but do check if the IP is from your router (or an other connection source for that mater). And of course check your /etc/resolv.conf, but that suggestion is already given.

I had a similar problem a very long time ago, when I was still a Windblows user. The solution was that my default browser was using a proxy. It wouldn't hurt to check that out ;)
Watch Zeitgeist: Moving Forward and see the system for what it is so we can move forward to a new one.

jackgu1988

#11 Post by jackgu1988 »

+1 to mojoman! that did the trick! i really can not understand why while installing debian on both pc's in the same network they had different settings. Keesdejong thanks for your reply but i also had the same problem with proxy when i was using windows so it was the first thing to check! but thank you anyway! problem solved!