Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[HOWTO] Squeeze + ATI Radeon 3200

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
alekz

[HOWTO] Squeeze + ATI Radeon 3200

#1 Post by alekz »

A very quick guide to install the driver for ATI Radeon 3200 Graphic Integrated Card on Debian Squeeze:

Code: Select all

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak100
apt-get install fglrx-control fglrx-driver module-assistant
m-a a-i fglrx
modprobe -r radeon drm
echo fglrx >> /etc/modules
aticonfig --initial
Then just restart the X.
Running: Testing
RSA Key ID (4096): 514F180C

Praxis

Re: [HOWTO] Squeeze + ATI Radeon 3200

#2 Post by Praxis »

I tried to follow this guide and the Debian wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary

Seems like the fglrx packages are no longer in the Squeeze respository:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fglrx

I guess I would have to use the sid packages to use the "Debian" way to get the proprietary driver or install the AMD ATI Catalyst driver directly.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... t%20driver

I have a 64 bit system and the ATI guide says "32-Bit packages must be installed for 64-Bit Linux drivers to install or work." In any case, even if that works that route would force me to reinstall whenever the kernel updates. This is my first time using testing so I don't know how often that might be in practice.

Do the fglrx-control & fglrx-driver regularly reappear in the testing repository? Is using the sid fglrx packages problematic?

When I first set up Squeeze a few days ago moving windows around was very sluggish & I couldn't enable desktop effects in KDE. I didn't have an xorg.conf & I'm not sure what driver I was using, I didn't check my Xorg.0.log, maybe it was vesa. But I created a proper xorg.conf with "Xorg -configure" and it lists my driver as radeonhd and my desktop is not quite so slow to respond and I can enable desktop effects, but still get no window decorations when I try to enable compiz. I know glxgears isn't a proper benchmark, but my scores seem a little low for such a fast display adapter, ~940 FPS. But if I can get dual monitors to work I'll be happy with radeonhd.

Edit: I probably was using vesa initially until I installed the firmware-linux package to enable radeonhd.

BioTube

Re: [HOWTO] Squeeze + ATI Radeon 3200

#3 Post by BioTube »

A)Start a new thread and B)r600 3d supported was added with kernel 2.6.32(though you'll only get OpenGL 1.4 or so without KMS).
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.