Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help moving my root filesystem to another parition

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
booger

Need help moving my root filesystem to another parition

#1 Post by booger »

I've done quite a bit of searching on this subject and have found several possible solutions.
I made the mistake of not specifying my partitions during install so now I've filled up my 6GB parition with the root file system.

I have a 120GB HD with 6GB for the root filesystem and the rest going to my home directory. I want to simply copy over all of the files (root filesystem) from the 6GB partition to the 114GB partition that already has my home folder installled on it. I have plenty of room there.

I don't have enough room to tar all of my root files on the 6GB partition.

What's the best way for me to pull this off?

Thanks,
booger

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

You can use mc to copy all the files; it can copy special files which are usually lurking in the /dev/ directory. You could use 'cp -pr' too, however, it is much more convinient to select directories in mc (because obviously you don't want to copy the /proc directory, the mounted filesystems from /mnt and things like this).
After the copy is done, don't forget to edit the fstab file on your newly-copied system to contain the correct device names.
Also, you may want to chroot to the 'new' root directory and run lilo to be sure the kernel is loaded from the new location.