Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] system time is too slow

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
mnielsen

[solved] system time is too slow

#1 Post by mnielsen »

Hi

I have an issue with the clock on my system. It has been an issue for some time. I think it is since I update to kernel 2.6.34rc2.

Last night I use ntputil-debian to synchronize the time to 0:15. This morning at 8:00, the time was 2:45.
This is quite annoying - I am starting to be late more often :-)

I have not tried much, since I have no idea where to start.
The values above is with kernel parameters clocksource=acpi_pm - that was just a guess based on reports related to the time running twice as fast as normal.
It is obviously not working.

I have run out of search words and I have no idea of what modules this may relate to, so any suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm running an updated debian/testing on a Lenovo Ideapad S12.

Edit:
More info:

I tried reverting to the old kernel
leon:~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32-trunk-686 (Debian 2.6.32-5) (ben@decadent.org.uk) (gcc version 4.3.4 (Debian 4.3.4-6) ) #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 06:32:16 UTC 2010

After reboot time was 18:45, both in reality and on the pc.
Later, without using the pc, at 20:26, the internal time was 19:20

leon:~# ntpdate-debian
31 Mar 20:26:01 ntpdate[2864]: step time server 212.242.32.206 offset 3899.378076 sec
(that is 65 minutes)

So it is not a kernel 2.6.34rc2 issue.

Can anyone tell me how a linux system keeps track of time?
Last edited by mnielsen on 2010-03-31 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

mnielsen

Re: system time is too slow

#2 Post by mnielsen »

Having worked my way through this problem, I ended up with a working solution!

Add "nohz=off" to the kernel parameter list - mine is in /boot/grub/menu.lst

This will disable dynamic ticks, tickless, or whatever it is called. I still use hpet as clocksource.

Positive side effects:
- The frequency scaling governor is now working. It actually uses the full 1.6Ghz now.
- The Lenovo Ideapad S12 random freeze seems to be gone also. Freeze like in nothing happens until mouse move or keyboard event.

The Tickless thing is very cool. I feel I should report it somewhere.
Any suggestions?