Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enabling eth1 in Debian Lenny w/ Gnome

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
fsmithred

Re: Enabling eth1 in Debian Lenny w/ Gnome

#31 Post by fsmithred »

Windows' ipconfig command is similar to ifconfig. Maybe physical address means the same as hardware address? (HWaddr in ifconfig's output).

I do know what IPv6 is. I don't know if it has anything to do with your problem or not. .

Radissthor

#32 Post by Radissthor »

Well, so I contacted the Informatics department at my university... Of course, they didn't know crap about Debian (about Linux actually) BUT!! they did notice something curious.
They asked to see the DNS assigned to the connection. I couldn't find the information through WCID, nor through ifconfig or iwconfig, but going to System-->Administration-->Network Settings I found a windows that says DNS. There, the technician saw that the DNS was not correct (supposedly, I was connected). So he told me what the DNS of the University was and I added the DNS address manually and erased the other one. Then, Internet was working like a charm!! So, just to check, I rebooted the system and connected again, but Internet was down again, even though the connection has been established. So the guy told me for some reason the system (my Debian) is not letting the DNS to be assigned automatically.... .
This was further prooved because I typed http://www.google.com in my url space of iceweasel and nothing happened, so he pinged googled from his computer and gave me the DNS address. I wrote it in the url space of my browser and it connected to google!!! but if I only write the name of the webpage, it does not connect!

So how could I make the DNS address to be assigned automatically?? This seems to be the problem... any guesses on how to fix it? :|

EDIT: I assigned the DNS address they gave me manually in the Network settings without enabling the wireless network, but just by going to the DNS window and changing the one that was there by the one they gave me. Now I'm posting from my laptop using wireless connection. This further proobes that this is a problem of automatic DNS assignment.

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

DNS Servers translate the numerical address into a more human friendly form, like google.com. They have a database of which URLs go with which address. Wicd has a spot in General Settings to add your own selection, a good choice would be the Open DNS servers...usually you set the DNS servers in the router, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

Radissthor

#34 Post by Radissthor »

stevepusser wrote:DNS Servers translate the numerical address into a more human friendly form, like google.com. They have a database of which URLs go with which address. Wicd has a spot in General Settings to add your own selection, a good choice would be the Open DNS servers...usually you set the DNS servers in the router, though.
Thanks for the tip, but wouldn't that limit my connections to only the DNS addresses I provide in the configuration you mentioned? Plus, what would I have to write in DNS Domain and in Search domain? They gave me two DNS addresses and there's space for three, so I Guess I'm alright with that. Well, what then?