Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sid: modprobe running in background, taking 95% cpu

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cyxxon

sid: modprobe running in background, taking 95% cpu

#1 Post by cyxxon »

Hi,

I am dual-booting WinXP and Debian sid and have used WinXP more than Debian in the last weeks, so I am not sure this problem is new to sid, but I only noticed it after a dist-upgrade yesterday.

I was working on a webpage in quanta, listening to an ogg in kaffeine, when the sound began to stutter. Opening a konsole and starting top revealed modprobe, run by root with NI -10 at 95% cpu usage, was probably the culprit. I thought, what the heck, you just dist-upgraded, might be some post-install script. After some 30 seconds my desktop stopped behaving all sluggish (mouse wouldn't move correctly, sound stuttered, buttons had to be pressed for a second until they reacted).

Too bad this came back after 5 minutes or so (only time measurement I can provide is that it was during the next song on my playlist). And then some 5 minutes after that again... you get the point.

I do not know how it came to be that my system needs to probe for new hardware with this frequency, and I would really like to disable this as it is kinda annoying if I cannot listen to music while working ;)

Anybody got any ideas where to look and how this might have been introduced to my system? First: I do not know how to setup cron jobs myself, never needed to, so an introduction to that might be in order, but I think something is broken if this got setup like this in the first place.

Running Debian/sid on a P4, Asus P4B533, using alsa with the ice1712 module on an M-Audio Delta Audiophile card, Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 with binary drivers 61.11 from Nvidia. Having a HP deskjet 5550 (?) and some sane flatbed scanner (BenQ scan2web) connected via USB.

Thanks,
Thomas

cyxxon

#2 Post by cyxxon »

Hm, seems to have gone away after several reboots and days... whatever.

cyxxon

#3 Post by cyxxon »

Basically just wanted to /bump this, since I just repaired my master boot record after WinXP fuxxored it some time ago and I was to lazy just doing my stuff under WinXP then fixing it correctly. Well, booted into Debian, problem still there.

Change in the meantime: video card is now a Geforce 6600GT, and scanner and printer are no longer attached to my machine.

Any ideas?
Thanks!