Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

automount cds in gnome solved

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
yanik

automount cds in gnome solved

#1 Post by yanik »

Hi

I recently reinstalled debian testing (kernel-image-2.6.8-1-k7) on my box with the sarge installer RC2. Everything seemed fine excet cds wouldn't automount as a user, only as root. I had to add my user to the plugdev group to get automounting working.

Code: Select all

adduser youruser plugdev
then log out and back in.

note that I did a minimal install and then apt-got what I needed.

Yanik

diensthunds

#2 Post by diensthunds »

I'd like to know how you got automount working and also how you got the plugdev group, I've done a desktop install and there is not plugdev group on my machine.

yanik

#3 Post by yanik »

do you have udev installed? Are you on kernel 2.6?

#4 Post by Guest »

No I do not have udev installed and yes I am on a 2.6 kernel, I installed autofs which did not require udev as a dep. Also I'm reading about hal being a better way to go as gnome-volume-manager uses hal to deal with issues like this as far as I can make out hal does the same thing as what udev does, only better. Also I remember reading somewhere that udev may become deprecated (if it isn't allready).

yanik

#5 Post by yanik »

You need udev to make hal work. hal and udev are not competitor, they work together. Udev is far from being depreciated, at least not until kernel 2.8.... The plugdev group is created by udev when you install it.

From Debian Planet:
The latest version of GNOME, 2.8, contains a new tool, gnome-volume-manager for automatically dealing with removal media devices. This relies on hal, the Hardware Abstraction Layer. In order for this to work well the user space /dev/ management tool udev is required. This works by mounting a tmpfs filesystem over /dev/ and creating device nodes as devices are detected and configured
Yanik