Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Using an ubuntu PPA-SOLVED

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
adam_himself

Using an ubuntu PPA-SOLVED

#1 Post by adam_himself »

Hi guys,

I switched over from ubuntu and I have an audio issue with my Asus EEE 1001PXB and my Realtek ALC265 soundcard. Basically, sound only comes from the internal speaker, but when I plug in my headphones the sound goes dead on my internal speaker and no sound comes from my headphones. I solved this issue by installing linux-alsa-driver-modules from the ubuntu-audio-dev PPA. I tried to add the modules via command line in terminal after editing my sources.list file and adding the PPA line. It worked fine with chromium install, but fails to find linux-alsa-driver-modules and from the looks of it, it connected fine when I do aptitude update.

Does anyone know how to correct this and get the ball rolling? or is it something I just need to wait out on? It seems to be a rather rare issue as I can find little about this specific problem even when you use existing fixes for similar hardware.

This is the link for the PPA info:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/Installin ... verModules

Here is my PPA link in sources.list

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-audio-dev/stable/ubuntu/ lucid  main
aptitude search yields nothing. Any advice?
Last edited by adam_himself on 2010-09-20 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
You can't get a grip if there's nothing to hold.

Absent Minded

Re: Using an ubuntu PPA

#2 Post by Absent Minded »

Adding an Ubuntu repo is a good way to mess up your Debian system as they are not really binary compatible. While I am not really firmilier with your sound chip or system you can do a search in Synaptic for alsa for the Debian components. Remember to remove the Ubuntu packages and then remove the Ubuntu repos from your sources.list. Then update the packages list (aptitude update, apt-get update or hit the update button on Synaptic). Hopefully what you have installed so far hasn't already messed things up to a state that will make things difficult for you to recover from.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

While it is possible that an Ubuntu program will work in Debian, the compiled modules for sound drivers are unique to each kernel, so you would have to be running an Ubuntu kernel in Debian to use them (which would most likely work, but I really don't see any need for it) They will never work on a Debian kernel.

The ALSA sound drivers are also include in the Linux kernel, and Debian enables their build. All you may have to do it install a new kernel and boot to it. The latest available officially for Lenny is 2.6.32 in lenny-backports (backports.org); if you grab that kernel you should also get the latest alsa-base package from backports. Alsa-base has the configurations for various sound cards.

Lenny ships with a 2.6.26 kernel, check your running kernel in the terminal with

uname -r

You can also build updated sound drivers from a newer alsa-source package using module-assistant...but let's see what kernel you have first, and if a new kernel is the answer.
MX Linux packager and developer

adam_himself

#4 Post by adam_himself »

Hey guys!

Thanks for your help, I did a little more digging and came across this:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Model/1005P

Fixed me up. I was searching "PXB" and lol :P The littlest things..

SOLVED.
You can't get a grip if there's nothing to hold.

Absent Minded

#5 Post by Absent Minded »

I am glad it is "solved" for you. To mark the thread solved just edit your first post adding "solved" to it.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012