Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound Blaster Audigy under Debian

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
spz

Sound Blaster Audigy under Debian

#1 Post by spz »

Hi,

I have a sound card Sound Blaster Audigy SE, and I would like to know if this sound card is compatible with Debian under Pulseaudio or ALSA please ?

Thank you :)

Edit : Oops, I'm sorry I was wrong of forum :s

saulgoode

Re: Sound Blaster Audigy under Debian

#2 Post by saulgoode »

The Audigy SE card should be supported by the ALSA 'snd-ca0106' driver.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

spz

#3 Post by spz »

Ok :)

I forget to mention than I own 5.1 speakers, does the ALSA driver supports the 5.1 ? :)

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I recently bought the Creative Inspire A500, 5.1 speaker system for surround sound and intend to use them with my Genius 5.1 PCI sound card. I've had a Soundblaster SB Audigy PCI card lying around in a drawer for several years but never managed to get it to work with either Debian Etch or Lenny. I may make another attempt on my Squeeze system.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

spz

#5 Post by spz »

Hi,

Ok, keep us informed :mrgreen:

Thx ;)

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

spz wrote:Hi,

Thx ;)
I made another attempt to get my soundblaster Audigy working but have decided to give it up as a bad job so it's going back to the drawer. I wonder if anyone has ever got theirs working with Debian. I'll use my Genius 5.1 with the A500 speakers.
DebianStable

$ vrms

slowcoach

#7 Post by slowcoach »

These settings will work with Etch, Lenny and Squeeze.
Instructions are for Ubuntu so just use su - instead of sudo for root privilege.

Settings for SB Audigy 7.1 card.

Select Tracks to be Visible:

Line in - Microphone - Analog Front - Capture feedback - Shared Mic/Line in
Playback: Analog Front - Capture Feedback
Recording: Line in - Microphone
Options: Shared Mic/Line in

Configuring default soundcards / stopping soundcards from switching
Note: This section assumes that you have installed each soundcard properly.

* In a shell, type cat /proc/asound/modules

* This will give the the name and index of each soundcard you have currently. Make a note of the names, and decide which one you want to be the default card.

* Now type sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
NOTE: The config file was previously named simply alsa-base IIRC so if you don't find alsa-base.conf in your Debian version try editing alsa-base instead.

* At the very end of the file, add the following (assuming you have 3 cards with module names A, B and C and you want to have them in the order CAB)

options snd-C index=0
options snd-A index=1
options snd-B index=2

The end of my alsa-base.conf looks like this, snd_hda_intel is the onboard sound chip (not required by me), snd_ca0106 is the Audigy card and snd_usb_audio is my Logitech USB Microphone. index=0 gives the Audigy priority and index=2 makes the Logitech Mic available at the same time. Setting the Mic index to 1 produced an error at bootup but it still worked perfectly, setting the index to 2 simply removed the bootup error.

options snd_hda_intel index=-2
options snd_ca0106 index=0
options snd_usb_audio index=2

Then all you have to do is set the volumes and reboot.
Currently, British inventors are responsible for over half of all the new inventions in the World.

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

Thanks slowcoach; I'll certainly try the configuration myself later and post again since I have the same SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY Model: SB0570 as detailed for example, here.
DebianStable

$ vrms

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

spz wrote:Hi,

Thx ;)
OK. Five months later. Good news! Today I was bored so I opened the computer and inserted my SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY Model: SB0570 and what a surprise! The thing worked immediately (in Squeeze) when I booted. No configuration was necessary for the CA0106 driver to work with ALSA except I disabled the onboard BIOS sound (Azalia codec) but regarding this question, please see this recent post about enabling multiple sound devices.
DebianStable

$ vrms