Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't login as root on gnome

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
inky

Can't login as root on gnome

#1 Post by inky »

I have squeeze with gnome. Various apps let me log in as root when needed to but if I logout as a user and try to login as root it won't let me (won't authenticate password). I had this problem before and reinstalled Debian and definitely checked for it to allow me to do this and it worked for a while after new install. Apparently some update overrode my preferences. This is a major defect and may force me to abandon Debian. I don't use root often but I don't have any use for a operating system that won't let me use it. Anyone know how to correct this. I am not interested in using a terminal on a regular basis or ever for that matter.
Thanks
INKY

BowCatShot

Re: Can't login as root on gnome

#2 Post by BowCatShot »

I have a brand new unaltered installation and it won't let me log in as root either. That is at the initial login screen. Once logged in as a user I can su to root successfully. I don't know if this is by design or is a bug. If by design it sucks!

TobiSGD

#3 Post by TobiSGD »

It is by design. You are not allowed to login as root in a GUI. That is not a bug.
Why would anyone login as root in a GUI? This is a real security risk.

MarcusW

#4 Post by MarcusW »

I think it's by design, but it's easy to change. ("logging in as root" at the installation means the root account is enabled, gdm will still reject it) Open the gdm settings -> Security -> Allow root/admin to log in.

inky

#5 Post by inky »

Thanks for responses. Nice to see others have the same problem. If it is a security issue it should still be an option for those of us who can't use terminals. How do I get into GDM to change settings. Can I do this from the gnome or do I need to use terminal. I am pretty sure I had this option on the install and set it to let me login and then something took it away. On my expermental install it was on the login page and I was able to change it but on this working install and my previous install I wasn't able to find it again.
Thanks
Inky

TobiSGD

#6 Post by TobiSGD »

inky wrote: If it is a security issue it should still be an option for those of us who can't use terminals.
It is an option, but it is not enabled by default. What do you mean with "can't use terminals"? You can do almost all administrative tasks in the GUI, you are asked for the root-password if it is needed.

julian516

#7 Post by julian516 »

@ inky:
I am a relatively new Debian user as well. In my experience TobiSGD is right. If I am operating in the GUI I usually am asked for a root password when that is required for something I wish to do. I would not change the default log in behavior! Really, do not log in as Root. That is a wise security provision. If you sit in your favorite coffee shop and log in as Root somebody 5 tables away just got the keys to your digital kingdom.

Most of the time I go to the terminal and it really is not hard. Give it a try!

inky

#8 Post by inky »

I can also put in the root password when it asks for it and that works. I am a lousy typist and have a lousy memory making using a terminal a pain. Security isn't an issue for me because no one has access to the machine but me. Sometimes there are things I need to do that I can't do through the package manager etc. Right now I need change the update files from squeeze to testing so it will update the way I want it to. I have to have root access to update that file and I can't find any other way to do it. Plus it's my machine and I want to be able to access any way I want whenever I want.
Thanks for responses.
Inky

TobiSGD

#9 Post by TobiSGD »

inky wrote:Security isn't an issue for me because no one has access to the machine but me.
Not if your machine is connected to the Internet.
inky wrote: Right now I need change the update files from squeeze to testing so it will update the way I want it to.
You can do that with Synaptic.
inky wrote:Plus it's my machine and I want to be able to access any way I want whenever I want.
Of course you can do that, it is your machine. But then don't complain if your machine is compromised or borked because of that.

Bro.Tiag

#10 Post by Bro.Tiag »

inky wrote:I can also put in the root password when it asks for it and that works. I am a lousy typist and have a lousy memory making using a terminal a pain. Security isn't an issue for me because no one has access to the machine but me. Sometimes there are things I need to do that I can't do through the package manager etc. Right now I need change the update files from squeeze to testing so it will update the way I want it to. I have to have root access to update that file and I can't find any other way to do it. Plus it's my machine and I want to be able to access any way I want whenever I want.
Thanks for responses.
Inky
I'm not telling you to not run as root (I do run as root, but not to perform day to day activities as root), but that you should try su. Su will make you "root", and you can destroy your install just as quick as su as you could as root. The thing is, that once you close the shell running su, is it's closed, no more root accesses. Besides, it's the Debian Way, you are running debian correct, you do want to become a real Debian user correct { :mrgreen: for the knee-jerk crowd}.

Since you are a bad typist (and probably a bad speller & maybe even want to learn english some day, as do I) install gpm, it is a mouse that works w/o X running.

Cheers

inky

#11 Post by inky »

How do you change it in synaptic. My synaptic no longer has the page where you can list the repositories yourself. I know not to log on as root except when I am doing something where it is necessary. I will be installing SQL-ledger a bookkeeping program soon and it requires me to be logged on as root for several steps. It requires terminal usage as well but I think I can cut and paste my way through that. From time to time I have had things that had to be done as root. Fubarring the machine is a risk that I have to take sometimes.
Thanks
Inky
Last edited by inky on 2011-03-10 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

inky

#12 Post by inky »

I see the benefits of using su. The problem for me is that I don't use it often enough to remember the syntax, filenames, operators etc. I have to open a tutorial hunt through it for what I need then type it in the terminal. I do this sometimes but it is a real pain and actually ends up with root open longer than if I could click my way to it after logging in as root.
Thanks
Inky

TobiSGD

#13 Post by TobiSGD »

inky wrote:How do you change it in synaptic.
Open Synaptic, click on Settings, then on Repositories. In the dialog that opens now just click on the entry you want to change and edit the files in the bottom of the dialog as you like.

inky

#14 Post by inky »

Doesn't work. My synaptic doesn't have that dialog anywhere. I know what you are referring to because an older version had it, but this one does not that I can find. That's why I need to edit the file itself (I found it) but have to be logged as root to do it.
Thanks
Inky

TobiSGD

#15 Post by TobiSGD »

I am wondering about that. I use Sid, so that I should have a newer version of Synaptic.

MarcusW

#16 Post by MarcusW »

inky wrote:Doesn't work. My synaptic doesn't have that dialog anywhere. I know what you are referring to because an older version had it, but this one does not that I can find. That's why I need to edit the file itself (I found it) but have to be logged as root to do it.
Thanks
Inky
Open terminal, type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit filename
Or if you only have su, no sudo:

su
gedit filename
Remember to include the whole path to the file.

inky

#17 Post by inky »

I have version .70-pre1. Not sure why they would have dropped that feature. I hadn't actually used it before but from researching debian versions it is clear there is a lot of repositories out there. Many are specialized and would be very useful for some people. Although most people that advanced are using the terminal anyway.
Thanks
Inky

aicardi

#18 Post by aicardi »

I think the command in the terminal would be

gksu gedit /path/to/file
or with sudo

gksudo gedit /path/to/file
Edited for clarification.
Jessie/Xfce

inky

#19 Post by inky »

Thanks. That lets me fix this problem but still doesn't solve my original issue of being able to log in as root.
Thanks
inky

kedaha

#20 Post by kedaha »

The command gksudo in the root terminal will cause a little box to appear allowing you to run programs as root or select from a list of users.
To access all your files as root via the graphical user interface:

aptitude install nautilus-gksu
[Edited to correct package name]
To copy, delete and move files around etc using your mouse use the command:

gksudo nautilus
Regarding the use of sudo, the Debian System Administration Guide, (available in the repos as debian-reference-en) states:
For the typical single user workstation such as the desktop Debian system on the laptop PC, it is common to deploy simple configuration of sudo(8) as follows to let the non-privileged user, e.g. penguin, to gain administrative privilege just with his user password but without the root password.

# echo "penguin  ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
Alternatively, it is also common to do as follows to let the non-privileged user, e.g. penguin, to gain administrative privilege without any password.

# echo "penguin  ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL" >> /etc/sudoers
This trick should only be used for the single user workstation which you administer and where you are the only user.
Of course, "penguin" must be replaced with your user name.
Last edited by kedaha on 2011-03-11 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.