Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DHCP works fine, Static IP DOESN'T!!!

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
geeko321

DHCP works fine, Static IP DOESN'T!!!

#1 Post by geeko321 »

I am running a Debian Woody server and I couldn't get the thing to see out through the network so long as I was configuring it on static IP. If I put it on DHCP it works great, but since it's a server, I kinda want it to be static. Every time I try static IP it doesn't work!!! I've tried it on 2 different computers connected to 2 different routers and both times it failed.

I'm using a 3COM 3C905 TX/XL network card. When I tried installing using DHCP, I did not specify any network card drivers. Debian just found them automatically. The same goes for static IP. I didn't choose to install any drivers, because it previously found them great. Is that my problem? Do I need to install drivers? And if so, which drivers do I choose on the list?

And also, yes, I checked to make sure my gateway and all that was set correctly, so I didn't just mess up in the configuration. It just chooses not to work when it's on static, but it works fine on DHCP.

I'm about to tear my hair out over this thing. I sure would appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks!

-Gregory Warner

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

Static IP should work as expected. The common pitfall when changing from dynamic IP to static is that many people leave the DHCP client up and running, which, when awakens, messes up the IP configuration.
Uninstall the DHCP client, edit /etc/init.d/networking to have the correct values, and do a '/etc/init.d/networking restart'. After this, run ifconfig to check if the card's address is correct.

geeko321

#3 Post by geeko321 »

Thanks for the help. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. If I reinstall Debian from scratch and select Static IP from the setup program, does that by default still enable the DHCP client? And how do I uninstall it, just by typing "apt-get remove dhcp"? Thanks for the help.

-Gregory Warner

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

I think selecting static IP will not install DHCP. Anyway, you can check if DHCP is installed using this command:
dpkg -l '*dhcp*'|grep ii
If there any packages installed, remove them with 'apt-get remove'.

geeko321

#5 Post by geeko321 »

Thanks, I seem to be getting the hang of this. I think most of my problems come from my roommate's gimpy router. This thing is so screwed up. I can't even get virtual servers to work on this router. Everything internal is working, so I think it's actually the router's fault.

Thanks for the help anyways, it's real informative. I'm trying to become a Linux pro. Every little bit of info helps.

-Gregory Warner