Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Annoying mutt dependencies

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jesus

Annoying mutt dependencies

#1 Post by jesus »

The thing is, mutt wants exim4, yet I don't need it, msmtp is enough for me. However, msmtp will not do as a replacement, so I got rid of exim file by file.
Apt-get complains, when updating some other package:

Code: Select all

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `exim4-config' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `exim4-daemon-light' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `exim4-base' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
A bit dumb "solution" and apparently it doesn't work after exim4 is upgraded, so I would just have to figure how to permanently stop exim4 starting at boot.

The other thing is inetd, internet super-server. I still don't get it what do I need it for, yet I must have it.

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#2 Post by Jeroen »

To use mutt, you need a Mail Transport Agent, default is exim4, but you can install any package capable of sending off mail. nullmailer and ssmtp both are very trivial packages being able to do so, and sending them to a smtp server.

You should not try to mock with package files unless you really know what you're doing, that's only going to cause you trouble.

Install a Mail Transport Agent of your choice, and then install mutt. This is how Debian works, if you don't have the depending packages, debian will install them for you. Aptitude should give you a choice what you want to install, apt-get is quite a low level tool you should usually only use if you know a bit what you're doing.

peschmae

#3 Post by peschmae »

The Problem is that msmtp does not provide mail-transfer-agent and thus Debian wants yet another mta installed. I don't think there's an easy solution for that apart from
- changing the msmtp package
- installing just some mta (and maybe just deleting the links from /etc/rc?.d so it isn't started at boottime)

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell

jesus

#4 Post by jesus »

Well, I installed ssmtp although I don't use it so Debian removed exim4.
I also run sysvconfig and removed all sorts of crap starting at boot, like inetd (totally useless).

lacek

#5 Post by lacek »

I just want to mention that inetd is not totally useless, so it may seem. It can handle connections and can delegate those to services, thus saving memory by awakening the daemons only when they needed.
There is nothing wrong with having inetd disabled, however, certain services depend on it (the cupsys-bsd is one of them, to my knowledge). So, keep in mind that you disabled inetd, and if an installed service doesn't want to start, just start looking around inetd.

peschmae

#6 Post by peschmae »

*If* Apache2 did work with inetd it would even be useful ;)
At least for me.

Peschmä
-- Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot. -- Rusty Russell