Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Disable gdm3 startup beep

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Iorek

Disable gdm3 startup beep

#1 Post by Iorek »

Hello!

I got a problem with a Dell Latitude E5500. I can not disable the hardware beep after the gdm3 login screen has been loaded. All alsa beeps and system sounds are disabled and/or muted. I also tried setterm -blength 0, xset -b in startup scripts. They disable terminal-beeps, but not the halt or the gdm login beep. I tried wasting around with the gconftool, but nothing happened. It is an annoying sound. If you use, init 0 to shut down, no beep comes up.

Has anyone a solution?

wkr

Iorek
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

I only say: Excuse me for being!

golinux

Re: Disable gdm3 startup beep

#2 Post by golinux »

This worked for me:

In /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults look for this line and make sure it's set to false:

Code: Select all

# Play system beeps - especially the one when the greeter is ready
/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds		false
There is also a Gnome Login Sound option under preferences Startup Applications that you can disable.
May the FORK be with you!

Iorek

#3 Post by Iorek »

Hey golinux!

I also tried the option for gdm3. But nothing happens. Disabling the startup-programs does not help, etiher. I think it must have something to do, with a hardware problem, because I have seen this problem on other Dell machines, too....maybe a special hardware broadcast message, that the motherboard throws as a beep. But I do not know, if and how I can disable that.

wkr
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

Revenger

#4 Post by Revenger »

I blacklisted pc speaker module to disable gdm beep.

echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Next time someone says 'Go to hell' to me, I come right here.

Do you need bad help?

Iorek

#5 Post by Iorek »

Hey Revenger!

That was my first guess, but it is already blacklisted and has never been loaded. I think this module was removed to be loaded, maybe for that reason. But I still got the problem.

I think it is a little bit strange, because I was able to disable all terminal beeps even without x. I think it is a problem with the runlevel. It gets disabled after that beep on startup and halt in an other runlevel.

wkr

rivenathos

#6 Post by rivenathos »

The method mentioned above by golinux worked like a charm for me. I now have a quiet start up.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

Iorek

#7 Post by Iorek »

Hey!

The method with the gdm-config file does not work. In fact it is a Mint LMDE installation. It seems as if everytime you reboot the system a standard config file gets loaded. If I edit the lines, they are not there after reboot. How can I fix this?

wkr

hinaeen

#8 Post by hinaeen »

Hello,

Just disable the Beep in alsamixer, you can use the graphical applet in systray, select the sound card indicating (Alsa mixer) and mute the Beep selector.

Iorek

#9 Post by Iorek »

Hey,

the beep is disabled in alsa. But nevertheless a beep sound comes on startup. After login everything is muted....

-Robert-

#10 Post by -Robert- »

Try this:
golinux wrote:This worked for me:

In /etc/gdm3/greeter.gconf-defaults look for this line and make sure it's set to false:

# Play system beeps - especially the one when the greeter is ready
/desktop/gnome/sound/event_sounds		false
and run

# invoke-rc.d gdm3 reload

dtl131

#11 Post by dtl131 »

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=628858
If that doesn't work, open a new bug.

Another possible workaround is to install libcanberra-pulse, so event sounds require pulseaudio to be loaded (and it probably isn't loaded until your user session begins). IIRC, it won't fall back to using alsa to play the login prompt.

deb-wrangler

#12 Post by deb-wrangler »

That sound drove me mad.

I found that running
# gdmsetup
as root or superuser
then unchecking all boxes under "Sounds" on the "Accessibility" tab
got rid of it.

enok

#13 Post by enok »

I had the same issue with the system beep when the gdm3 login screen loaded and when I rebooted. It turns out it was the sound card module (snd_hda_intel) that was causing it. The snd_hda_intel has an option, "beep_mode", that grabs the system beep when it loads, overriding pcspkr. And, of course, "beep_mode" is enabled by default. That's why you still get the beep even when you remove and blacklist pcspkr.

# modinfo snd_hda_intel | grep beep
parm:           beep_mode:Select HDA Beep registration mode (0=off, 1=on, 2=mute switch on/off) (default=1). (array of int)
To disable the system beep:

# echo "options snd_hda_intel beep_mode=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
# echo "blacklist pcspkr" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
That should get rid of the annoying beep you get when gdm3 loads and in the console. The Intel HD audio chipset is common in laptops now, so if you have a laptop that won't stop beeping, snd_hda_intel is likely the culprit. I haven't tried the "beep_mode=2" mute switch option, so I'm not sure what it does.