Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configure printer in sarge

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jolphil

Configure printer in sarge

#1 Post by jolphil »

Hi all,
First there was the Xserver battle and after a week or so with the help of others,thats solved..
Next is a battle to configure my HP810c deskjet using cups and the 631 configure..The thing is it will print a test page fine in the administration mode but will not print from any other program such as open office or anything else..Everyone says it is an easy configure but not it seems for me..I tried to set the allowed users to my user name as well as all users with different passwords..I used synatpic and installed most of the cups packages and the foomatic hpij driver package..This should be easy but........NOT!!!!
Can anyone help?
thank you,
jolphil

jesus

#2 Post by jesus »

I've always just used printtool for configuring, the printer is up and running in few minutes.

buster

#3 Post by buster »

Try menu>control centre>peripherals>printer>administrative mode>properties>
and then scroll on the left to users and check if you are listed properly.

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

If you use kde, and your printer is already set up (i.e. it prints the test page correctly), you can configure almost any (including non-KDE of course) program to print like this:
Make sure the 'kdeprint' package is installed.
Then go to Control center. Select peripherals->printers. At the "print system currently used" list, choose "CUPS".
Then, in any program which needs a printer, specify the 'kprinter' command as printing sommand.

Note that OpenOffice 1.1.4 uses CUPS as default.

#5 Post by Guest »

Hi again,
Back on Debian sarge..BTW just a small diversion,I installed Xandros on this very system and everything installed properly with out a hitch including the printer, sound ,USB devices etc..
Now back to the debian install printer problem, I checked and have "KDE print" installed..Went to the control center,peripherals,printers..
I can find and load my parallel port HP810c printer,set the configurations and it even shows the recomended driver(foomatic hpij)
after all that I try a test page and KDE says it sent the Test page to the ptinter but an error box pops up with the follpwing message that I do not have a clue as to what it means..A week has been spent trying things for this printer..

Now the error message...
Cupsdoprint-P 'HP810C-j' -H 'localhost:631-U 'User-0' multiple-document-handling=separate-document-uncollated-copies orientation-requested=3 /usr/share/apts/kdeprint/testprint,PS:client-error-not-possible

Thats it ..What the heck does it mean?
I also further back got an error message when configuring the printer that it could not find the driver but it says it has a driver..That is also confusing...
Any help appreciated..
jolphil

jolphil

Sorry i did not log in but..

#6 Post by jolphil »

It was me...I have tried everything I know and cannot get the printer to work at all.I tried (as admin) both cups and foomatic and neither will work..I downloaded hpoj and it found my printer(HP810C) but said it could not communicate with it? It also found the parallel port /lp0
but still no go for printing..

In add addition to this problem my scroll mouse has no scroll(this is minor problem to me) ..
Also Debian cannot find my USB storage drive(kingston 128 meg drive)I have not even had time to try the floppy or cd drive yet..
I am afraid either it has major bugs or I just don't know how to correct them..I have been on the forums and read as much as possible but
in spite of everyones help I am spinning my wheels..
Thanks all for you help..I guess I'll go back to Suse /Mandrake and the others that are a bit easier for me..Maybe I'll wait till sarge gets released..
jolphil

buster

#7 Post by buster »

Please try Mepis before you give up on Debian. It's an easy route into Debian, quick to install, pleasant to use. Then after awhile go back to the 'real' Debian ;) Read:

http://www.plugintolinux.ca/simplymepis_review.html

I would suggest the 3.3.

#8 Post by Guest »

For scrollmouse, try

Code: Select all

Option "Protocol" "IntelliMouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
in your X config.

jolphil

Thanks all for your posts

#9 Post by jolphil »

After much tinkering I completely zonked the system so i did a reinstall..
I got xserver this time..I got my mouse working after uninstalling udev..
Finally things started looking up..
My present problem is now installing removable devices..I will post a new thread..
Thank you all for your help..Its appreciated..
jolphil