Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Can't install kernel headers; libgcc1 breaks gcc-4.3

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
marc1uk

[SOLVED]Can't install kernel headers; libgcc1 breaks gcc-4.3

#1 Post by marc1uk »

I've been trying to follow some instructions I found here on installing Fjbtndrv on Mint Debian, but for some reason I don't seem to be able to install the kernel headers. I've never really dealt with modifying kernels before, so I'm a bit out of my depth.

When I try to install the headers, I'm told there's a dependency on gcc-4.3, but it won't be installed. That seems to be because it's incompatible with libgc1, on which a heck of a lot seems to depend.

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gcc-4.3 : Depends: binutils (>= 2.19.1) but it is not going to be installed
libgcc1 : Breaks: gcc-4.3 (< 4.3.6-1) but 4.3.5-4 is to be installed
x11-utils : Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx but it is not going to be installed or
                      libgl1
Incidentally the other dependencies are actually already fulfilled; i have binutils >2.19.1 (2.22-2), x11-utils and libg1-mesa-glx.
I also have gcc-4.3.5-4 already installed and libgcc1 (1:4.6.2-9), though the current gcc version isn't marked as broken, but it also won't reinstall.
Can anyone tell me how i can fix/work around this?
Last edited by marc1uk on 2012-01-07 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can't install kernel headers; libgcc1 breaks gcc-4.3

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Upgrade to testing.
gcc-4.3 (4.3.5-4) is the version from stable.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

marc1uk

#3 Post by marc1uk »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Upgrade to testing.
gcc-4.3 (4.3.5-4) is the version from stable.
Thanks for the reply dlibert's_left_nut (nice nick btw). But, upgrade what exactly? I can't seem to upgrade or force any other versions of gcc-4.3, and i'm using the testing version of libgcc1. I've tried an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade gcc-4.3 but there don't seem to be any updates available. Perhaps i need to add another repo?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

marc1uk wrote:But, upgrade what exactly?
Everything.
I can't seem to upgrade or force any other versions of gcc-4.3, and i'm using the testing version of libgcc1. I've tried an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade gcc-4.3 but there don't seem to be any updates available. Perhaps i need to add another repo?
It would seem you are running stable and installing bits of testing.
This is a Very Bad Idea, and is why you are starting to get unresolvable dependencies.
You should upgrade your OS to testing.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

marc1uk

#5 Post by marc1uk »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
marc1uk wrote:But, upgrade what exactly?
Everything.
I can't seem to upgrade or force any other versions of gcc-4.3, and i'm using the testing version of libgcc1. I've tried an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade gcc-4.3 but there don't seem to be any updates available. Perhaps i need to add another repo?
It would seem you are running stable and installing bits of testing.
This is a Very Bad Idea, and is why you are starting to get unresolvable dependencies.
You should upgrade your OS to testing.
Right, well that ended up being a bit confusing; I'd been happily using MintUpdate, thinking my system was all up to date. Turns out my sources.list was pointing to some old stable debian sources, not the right mint testing ones. Despite this I seemed to have Update Pack 3 installed, which should have installed the latest 3.0 kernel, but somehow didn't. After updating my sources.list, swapping MintUpdate for MintUpdate-Debian, and installing the linux-image-3.0.0.1-amd64 manually (the updater still didn't seem to suggest it) the build that was hanging due to missing headers previously now runs without any hiccups.
Thanks for the helping put me on the right track!