Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hotkey to quickly clear memory cache in Iceweasel?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Ahtiga Saraz

Hotkey to quickly clear memory cache in Iceweasel?

#1 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

I have a question about Iceweasel 3.5.16 (default in Squeeze). In older versions there was a single button which cleared both cookies and memory cache. In this these clearance buttons are in hard to find and widely separated portions of the menu. When using Tor with polipo it is important to continually clear the memory cache (I have disk caching disabled). I tried to search for hotkey combos or something like that which will enable me to do this but failed. Suggestions?
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

secipolla

Re: Hotkey to quickly clear memory cache in Iceweasel?

#2 Post by secipolla »

ctrl+alt+del

Ahtiga Saraz

#3 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

Well, shutting down Iceweasel, waiting a few seconds, and restarting it also works, but there should be something less drastic.

The IW menu has underscores in drop down menu, E under Edit, n under Preferences, C under Clear (cache) Now. But I haven't been able to figure out how to make them work. Is there a man page I should read?

It might help if I explain that I've never used hotkeys and don't know how they work, but from random encounters with that phrase here over the years I guessed that this might be what I'm looking for. If more experienced users know otherwise, please say so!
Ahtiga Saraz

Le peuple debout contre les tyrans! De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours l'audace!

nadir

#4 Post by nadir »

i think its ctrl+shift+del (found it somewehere at the Web). Else write a little script (assuming you know where the cache is stored, i don't), and put it in ~/bin, then call it via alt+F2 "killallcache" (or however you call it).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

Ahtiga Saraz

doesn't work for me, plus where IS the cache?

#5 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

Thanks, nadir, but that doesn't work on my system.

I actually don't know where the cache is kept and this kind of information seems to be hard to discover (security by obscurity at Mozilla or just my ineptitude?) There is ~/,mozilla/firefox/A_profile.default/Cache but doesn't seem to match about:cache, probably because I have disk caching disabled. I want to remove the cache in memory before leaving a given website. See the jondos anonymity test.
Ahtiga Saraz

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

Use the Torbutton
Tor Project: Torbutton Options : https://www.torproject.org/torbutton/to ... ns.html.en
Block disk and memory cache during Tor
This setting entirely blocks the cache during Tor, but preserves it for Non-Tor usage.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Ahtiga Saraz

More tommorrow

#7 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

Craig, that setting is not the default for tor+polipo, I think. Just tested and despite what torbutton config says when I made the change you suggested, about:cache shows stuff still being stored in memory during Tor browsing.

As I understand, polipo is a caching proxy so you want to allow memory caching but you want to clear the cache when you leave a given website (and cookies if any). I think what I probably want is to allow memory but not disk caching during Tor browsing but to clear the cache (and cookies if any) when Ieave a site. Typically I browse pages at some site and then move to a completely different site. I don't follow links directly but save them temporarily for possible direct navigation later.

Another possible issue is https and ocsp lookup. See also the thread I started asking about testing various modes of installing and using Tor under Debian stable.

Up way too late, more tommorrow
Ahtiga Saraz

Ahtiga Saraz

An option

#8 Post by Ahtiga Saraz »

This isn't what I was looking for, but one possibility for Squeeze+gnome2 users is
  • press the connection icon and choose "disconnect wired" or whatever
  • close iceweasel
  • wait a few seconds
  • restart IW
  • press the connection icon to reconnect
Ahtiga Saraz