Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS error-

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dvsapp

Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS error-

#1 Post by dvsapp »

I'm trying to setup a linux POS system with lemon POS, and have an Ithaca series 150 serial receipt printer. I looked till I'm blue in the face for linux drivers for it, and found nothing. I needed to test this thing, so I lowered myself to a Windows machine and found it worked fine with the basic text-only generic Windows XP driver.

No big deal, I'll just use the plain Jane generic text-only driver in Debian Squeeze, right?.... No go, CUPS server error, "client-error-document-format-not-supported" I know the port settings are right, so I tried the Windows machine again with a live DVD, same CUPS error again. Even tried live Ubuntu and Mint CD' s all the same. I found some info regarding uncommenting/adding a line in /etc/cups/mime.convs and mime.types Those files don't even exist on my system!

The really weird/stupid thing is that this goofy printer will "work" if I pick almost any other driver listed. By work I mean it prints something, just garbage, I never get the error. Why is the only driver that should work the only one that give the error???

I tried to do some "brute-force" editing on the ppd file in the live sessions i tried to no avail. Next>>>>> 12lb sledgehammer ...... :D

Any Ideas, or am I forever a slave to Windows....LOL!

Randicus

Re: Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS er

#2 Post by Randicus »

Ithaca is not a name I am familiar with. Is it common? If not, your inability to find Linux drivers may be because there are none. I do not know. I have never looked.
dvsapp wrote:Any Ideas, or am I forever a slave to Windows....LOL!
If there are no drivers, no, you need not be a slave to Windows. Get a different printer. :wink: Most good quality printers have Linux drivers.

Ibidem

Re: Trying to get generic text-only printer working -CUPS er

#3 Post by Ibidem »

Code: Select all

$ dlocate mime.types
cups: /usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types
In other words, just look in /usr/share/cups/mime instead of /etc/cups
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0