Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

throw newb a bone :: kernel source wont jive

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
pcxmac

throw newb a bone :: kernel source wont jive

#1 Post by pcxmac »

i just got sarge a couple days ago (ive always wanted linux, never had the patience, debian looks kewl....) ok yeah anyways i also have an inspiron 8200 44GO, sooo ok here goes, i install with just the desktop, because anymore and i dont know what the heck is going on, sooo, soooo soooo much stuff. ok kewl, i got sound (on 2.4.~, not on 2.6.~) so thats alright, and KDE rocks, good. but...

When i try to install the nvidia driver, it has a problem hooking up with my source, I have gone to Kpackage, and installed the respective kernel source, and also unzipped, and when i run "sh NVIDIA~.run --kernel-source-path /usr/src/kernel*" it works out until it trys to link or something and pretty much says i havent installed the source package, ugh. I have binutils installed, and the linker is in the right spot, what gives. Please help, Im posting this else where so I can solve this problem, but if you know whats up I would sooo sooo appreciate the info

Anyone know a good newbie linux intro to kernel building source?

jim

nvidia

#2 Post by jim »

You must compile the kernel and, if you use all defaults for the nvidia install, must also be actually running that kernel.
Hope that helps