Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Connecting Debian to Windows Domain

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
NickC

Connecting Debian to Windows Domain

#1 Post by NickC »

I have been trying this for a while now but don't seem to be able to find out how to join my Debian 6.0.5 workstation to the Windows 2008 R2 domain? I don't want this to be a Samba server, just a client member computer of the domain. Is anyone aware of any concise documents about showing how to do this.

Alternatively what about Webmin, would that perhaps be an easier way of achieving this.

NickC

Re: Connecting Debian to Windows Domain

#2 Post by NickC »

Well I can report that I have now tried this using Webmin but still no further forward. I am beginning to think that the ability to connect a Linux machine to a Windows domain network simply doesn't work yet.

karl101

#3 Post by karl101 »

Don't know about Win 2008, I use samba server. Try adding something like this to your /etc/fstab:

Code: Select all

//<server ip>/<share>  /<mount point>       cifs       username=<username>,password=<password>,_netdev,uid=<username>,domain=<domain>         0 0
Karl.

NickC

#4 Post by NickC »

I think the problem relates to not being able to create an ADS computer account on the domain controller for some reason.

NickC

#5 Post by NickC »

Still unable to get Debian machine to join the 2008 R2 domain.

NTP is working, ntpq -p ok.
Kerberos is working, klist ok.
but
Net join -W MYDOMAIN.LOCAL –S SERVER1 –U MYAdmin
returns

Code: Select all

Failed to join domain: This operation is only allowed for the PDC of the domain
ADS join did not work, falling back to RPC
Cannot join as standalone machine
Any guesses what I have got wrong.