Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Frustration with Debian...

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Igrok

Frustration with Debian...

#1 Post by Igrok »

Okay - I install a base system, install x-windows-system, then install kde. I go to enable the batter icon for the laptop and it says acpi was only partially loaded, I need to select ac and some other module and then recompile the kernel.

There are no source files on the downloaded ISO images!!! How do I get the source for Deb so I can re-compile my kernel???
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.

sprucio

#2 Post by sprucio »

Try installing the acpi daemon in Debian. I think it's called acpid.

The kernel source is a bit old I must say. With Sarge (testing), they have a package called kernel-source-2.6.8 or something along the lines of that.

Igrok

#3 Post by Igrok »

Thanks - I must admit, I don't have more than 20 minutes a day to look at it. I will try and get an afternoon this weekend to clean up my hasty install.
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.

jim

kernel source

#4 Post by jim »

use
apt-get install kernel-source
or use aptitude or synaptic package manager (best)

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by Jeroen »

You very likely don't need to recompile your kernel -- just configure your system to load the right modules.

modprobe <modulename>

and/or add to /etc/modules, for autoload on reboot

And also, ensure you have hotplug and discover installed to load most modules your hardware supports at boot time (it will at boot time autodetect as much hardware as possible)