Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid does not exist - stuck in initramfs

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid does not exist - stuck in initr

#31 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

shoober420 wrote:Can you re-post those links again? I only see the Debian FAQ you posted. I skimmed threw and didn't find anything related.
It's in the FAQ (which you should clearly read several more times...) under "what is unstable?".
The packages in stable are still getting updated. My statement is still true. All repositories are a mix of packages getting updated. If stable truely remained static, it wouldn't receive updates of any kind.
Well, you can believe what you like - it won't change the way the system works.
If you want to run sid, you don't get to bitch about it when it breaks, as that is expected (even if rare) behaviour.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

shoober420

#32 Post by shoober420 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:It's in the FAQ (which you should clearly read several more times...) under "what is unstable?".
Just because a package was compiled on the developers machine, doesn't mean it wasn't apart of experimental first. Usually, newer packages are uploaded to experimental before they go into unstable. Like for example, the 3.15.1 kernel is in experimental, but is not apart of unstable. Its wrong for you to assume that packages don't trickle down from experimental into unstable. They very well can and most likely do this.
dilberts_left_nut wrote: Well, you can believe what you like - it won't change the way the system works.
If you want to run sid, you don't get to bitch about it when it breaks, as that is expected (even if rare) behaviour.
Wow, you mad bro? No need to start swearing. I never said it would change the way the system works. I'm not complaining about anything. I'm just shocked such a serious bug went by the developers eyes as they let the package out in the wild. Especially considering that distributions like Arch Linux have newer packages then Debian sid and don't experience these problems. If anything, you are the one complaining about me supposedly complaining.

middleforkgis

#33 Post by middleforkgis »

I can verify that I experienced this same problem over the last 24 hours.

For me this occurred on a dist-upgrade with a kernel upgrade from 3.2.0.4 to 3.14+57

I think I lost one of my SATA controllers and thus of course its disks. It appeared first as an mdadm issue, but then I realized the disks were gone from /dev/disk/by-[id|uuid] as well. Dmesg seemed to indicate the SATA channel never came up.

As luck would have it my boot disk came up fine so my system booted into a minimally usable state.

Rebooting back into 3.2.0-4 immediately solves the problem with no package changes or file modifications whatsoever.

This is my functioning system
3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.57-3 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#lspci|grep SATA
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller #1
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller #2
Not sure which failed.

This is my main production system and it is remote in a colo so I can't do a great deal of live testing.

-Steve Walker

meden

#34 Post by meden »

middleforkgis wrote: Rebooting back into 3.2.0-4 immediately solves the problem with no package changes or file modifications whatsoever.
Likely installing the new kernel did not regenerated the existing initrd. So my advice is to carefully avoid such scenario, maybe making a backup copy.

BTW, systemd packages now in testing solved this bug, so it is safe to upgrade. If you already did it, maybe you should only regenerate the faulty initrd.
Alessio