Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

doin' the SAMBA dance...

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Igrok

doin' the SAMBA dance...

#1 Post by Igrok »

I have SAMBA running on my Debian workstation and I can see the linux shares while browsing the network neighborhood on my Windows pc and get to the data. What I want to do is get to the WINDOWS shares through a graphical browser such as Konqueror or SMB4K from the linux side..

Can anyone tell me how to do that?

THanks!
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.

tim

#2 Post by tim »

You can use konqueror to browse your local network (I'm assuming you use kde because you mentioned smb4k) by typing smb:/ in the location toolbar. That will bring up your local network, and you won't need to install smb4k, which has always caused problems for me. You can make life even easier by creating a desktop shortcut. Right click anywhere on your desktop, go to: Create new--file--link to location (url) and then just name the shortcut something like home network, and enter the url as smb:/
Now when you click on that icon your network will come up.
Grieve not for happy Claudius, he is dead;
And empty is his skull.
Pity no longer, arm-in-arm with Dread,
Walks that polished hall.

Joy, too, is fled.
But no man can have all.

--Edna St. Vincent Millay

Igrok

#3 Post by Igrok »

thanks! worked like a charm!
Why do you NEVER see motorcycles parked outside of Psychiatrists' offices? Hmmmmm.