Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel Upgrade?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Carlosinfl

#16 Post by Carlosinfl »

All I did was follow the directions shown above. I installed a very lite debian with no apps and or gui and I had the 2.4 kernel. Then I updated apt-get and installed the 2.6 kernel. After that I rebooted and I obviouslt selected the 2.6 kernel.

I selected the SMP kernel because I have a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz CPU which has Hyper Threading enabled. Linux seens Hyper Threading as another CPU which requires SMP kernel support.

I booted back into 2.4 kernel fine and /dev/console is not a dir but a file that I can open with "nano" but when I open this file, it looks blank. I see nothing in this file.

How would I know what udev or devfs are? I have never heard of these before.

Thanks for any help...

Jeroen
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#17 Post by Jeroen »

I guess you have udev then, which is only enabled with 2.6 kernels, and that it does evil things to your /dev :-(

I know not enough of udev to assist in debugging this... sorry. Maybe someone else.

Carlosinfl

#18 Post by Carlosinfl »

Bedankt mijn Nederlandse vriend!

pigah

#19 Post by pigah »

You may want to try to install the udev package (apt-get udev). I'm not sure about this, but it might work.

I'm no expert, but udev and devfs are the systems of managing the peripherals (drives, consoles, modems, network cards, ...) of your computer. If I remember, udev takes the responsibility for the management out of the kernel.

touge_dorifuto

Kernel Panic

#20 Post by touge_dorifuto »

I upgraded 2.4 to 2.6 and on bootup, the following error came up

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or unknown-block (0,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option

Kernel panic- not syncing:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block.

2.4 still works, but 2.6 won't. I have four partitions, labed 1, 5, 3, and 4.

1 is the NTFS partition for WinXP, 5 is a FAT32 shared partition for data and files, 3 is ext3 /boot, and 4 is ext3 /

Thanks

Re: Kernel Panic

#21 Post by Guest »

touge_dorifuto wrote:I upgraded 2.4 to 2.6 and on bootup, the following error came up

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda4" or unknown-block (0,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option

Kernel panic- not syncing:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block.
Check that reiserfs,ext3 and ext2 and ide-ATAPI are compiled into the kernel instead of modules. If you are using an initrd the ramdisk file system is ext2.

-Bob

#22 Post by Guest »

Tried that but it had the same error. We aren't using initrd.img as we compiled the kernel ourself.