Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Drivers - How??

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jimbo-62

Installing Drivers - How??

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I would like to install updated drivers for my Broadcom 4401 network adapter. I am clueless. Google has not helped. The whole process of installing drivers to a Linux system is a mystery to me. (It took me about 30 minutes to find, download and install an updated driver for WinXP.) I have already spent hours trying to find out how to begin the process with Debian.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks, jimbo

Roeland

#2 Post by Roeland »

Have you tried feeding the query

Broadcom 4401 linux

to our beloved Google? It should get you on the right track, at least.

What documentation did you read?

-Roel
Science Center
Debian GNU/Linux flowing through my veins

jimbo-62

#3 Post by jimbo-62 »

Thanks for your reply. However, how about some HELP? I know where to get drivers, the Broadcom web site. My question is: What do I do with them after I have downloaded them?

Please don't make this forum a second c.o.l.a News Group where questions are met with linux snobbery. All I need and all I want is a simple answer to a simple question. If you are put off by beginners questions, then don't hang out at a HELP forum.

Thanks for your help, jimbo

homebody

#4 Post by homebody »

First, you need at a minimum to have kernel headers installed.

After that, I'd suggest doing an apt-get install module-assistant. Module-assistant can download, install the source code, compile, create a deb package and then install it, all in one fell swoop. It has two broadcom modules listed in it.
Bob
--- Only man can make the simple so complex ---

jimbo-62

#5 Post by jimbo-62 »

Hey homebody, thanks for the HELP! Just what I need to get me going in the right direction.

Thanks again, jimbo