Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to Tell What Version??

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
jimbo-62

How to Tell What Version??

#1 Post by jimbo-62 »

I have two Debian installations on my PC. One was from an iso named "sarge rc3". This was downloaded, burned and installed several days ago. The second was from an iso named "testing". This was downloaded, burned and installed a few days afte the first. Now after Sarge has been officially released, I changed the source.list to read "stable" and updated, upgraded and dist-upgraded the first installation, which I believe is Sarge stable release 3.1. I haven't done anything to the second installation. But when I look at /etc/debian_version, both read 3.1.

So, is there any way to know what version I have installed? Some file, etc. that gives me information on version number, version name or maybe even installation date or maybe the date the iso file was put on the web???

In short, is there any way to get information on just exactly what I have installed?

Thanks, jimbo

jobezone

Re: How to Tell What Version??

#2 Post by jobezone »

jimbo-62 wrote:I have two Debian installations on my PC. One was from an iso named "sarge rc3". This was downloaded, burned and installed several days ago. The second was from an iso named "testing". This was downloaded, burned and installed a few days afte the first.
[...]
In short, is there any way to get information on just exactly what I have installed?
Where did you get the ISO name "testing"? and what is it's full name? That's where you're most likely to know what version of Debian you now have on your 2nd system (although /etc/debian_version telling you 3.1 means you've probably got 3.1, aka Sarge).