Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

howto install the newest perl version 5.8 on Debian Sarge ?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
cc

howto install the newest perl version 5.8 on Debian Sarge ?

#1 Post by cc »

hi

howto install the newest perl version 5.8.X on Debian Sarge,
or better to upgrade the existing version.

greetings
cc

dawgie

#2 Post by dawgie »

You can break a lot of programs from forcing an upgrade to perl or python. There are many programs and config scripts that depend on them. This is OK if you have a seperate experimental install that you can afford to lose.

Bob

cc

#3 Post by cc »

thanks !

but if I do an upgrade to the next stable version,
for example from Woody to Sarge:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

everything will be upgradet correctly ?

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

To upgrade a complete system to a next version (Woody->Sarge), you should use

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

cc

#5 Post by cc »

thanks,

but I found in the Internet:

Code: Select all

Don't do dist-upgrade, what ever you do... it's not good. 
Just upgrade the packages and I imagine that's it.
it could be a dangerous thing ?

lacek

#6 Post by lacek »

The main difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade is that dist-upgrade will install or remove packages as needed to satisfy the upgrade request, while upgrade doesn't touch the list of installed packages in any way.
For example, let's suppose that a package was on its own, and it was called the-package. Later, it was split to the-package and libthe-package. Upgrade would not upgrade the package now, because additional packages would be installed, and upgrade will upgrade _only_ the already-installed packages.
Likewise, if a package was merged into one from a lib-program pair, it would take a dist-upgrade to upgrade the package, since the upgrade process would remove a package from the system.
In these cases, the packages marked as 'kept back' when using upgrade. You may choose the install the 'kept back' packages by hand, but the dist-upgrade does it automatically.

I don't think dist-upgrade would be 'bad'... I done a few dist-upgrades, all of them went smoothly...

cc

#7 Post by cc »

thanks !