Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Protege incompatible with awesome WM

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
hgeorg

Protege incompatible with awesome WM

#1 Post by hgeorg »

I try to get protege 5.2.0 (https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Main_Page) to work. It is java application, and I have tried both the version bundled with JRE and the unbundled one. Most of the testing is with the latter.

My main system, where I really need it to work, is running jessie, with LXDE and awesome WM. All of these from the official repo. The system is fully up to date.

Starting Protege, I get a blank window with only the border and titlebar supplied by the WM. However, if I replace awesome with openbox (LXDE default) it works. It does not help just to remove custom config for awesome, so clearly there is something in awesome which is incompatible with Protege.

I have never experienced anything similar. I thought the client and the WM would be entirely oblivious to each other.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be, and how it might be fixed?
TIA
:-- George

hgeorg

Re: Protege incompatible with awesome WM

#3 Post by hgeorg »

Thanks a lot. That is very useful to know.
At the end of the day, I found that the problem disappeared by itself in stretch, saving me the hack.