Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting Thunar 1.6.12 to Stretch?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
thunderogg

Getting Thunar 1.6.12 to Stretch?

#1 Post by thunderogg »

I saw Thunar 1.6.12 landed in testing recently with some important bug fixes. :D The version of Thunar (1.6.11) in Stretch crashes and hangs frequently. Thunar 1.6.12 seems to solve these problems. How do I do to get it into Stretch?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Getting Thunar 1.6.12 to Stretch?

#2 Post by None1975 »

thunderogg wrote:How do I do to get it into Stretch?
You can migrate your box to Debian Buster, or Sid and live in a bleeding age...good luck.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

thunderogg

#3 Post by thunderogg »

None1975 wrote:You can migrate your box to Debian Buster, or Sid and live in a bleeding age...
Thanks, but I prefer stable.
Debian 12 / Xfce4

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

It's very simple to backport: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

Or you could set up a Stretch build machine on the openSUSE build service and just throw the three Debian source files into it...profit!

Lacking the initiative to do that, you could put in a request on the backports mailing list, but IDK if they pay much attention to xfce backports.

I did the MX 17 backports versions on a pure Stretch pdbuilder, so they are Stretch-compatible; note that there are a few interdependent packages: http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/t/thunar/
MX Linux packager and developer

thunderogg

#5 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser wrote:It's very simple to backport: https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation
Thanks for the link. I found a building tutorial on the same wiki but this seems less painful. I will give it a go. :-)
Debian 12 / Xfce4

thunderogg

#6 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser:

Code: Select all

fakeroot debian/rules binary
went fine

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
failed early with:

dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see /tmp/thunar_1.6.12-1~bpo8+1.diff.mvJ3ul
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b thunar-1.6.12 gave error exit status 2
Debian 12 / Xfce4

thunderogg

#7 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser:
Impatient as I am, I quickly grabbed the packages you built. :D
Working perfectly! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Debian 12 / Xfce4

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

dpkg-source: error: aborting due to unexpected upstream changes, see /tmp/thunar_1.6.12-1~bpo8+1.diff.mvJ3ul
You can't make any manual changes to the source outside the /debian folder, that's why that error occurred. The Debian build process checks for them, and they are forbidden. You can see what they were in the referenced file. Also, just to be a nitpicker, stretch-backports gets labeled with bpo9+1.

As simple as the wiki instructions claim to be, I and the other MX packagers usually use an even more streamlined procedure which doesn't mess with adding repos. We just get the source files from packages.debian.org, extract them, increment the changelog and make ourselves the maintainers in debian/control, then install the build-depends with pbuilder's "/usr/lib/pbuilder/pbuilder-satisfydepends" command. I've also recently started using pdebuilder in QEMU machines, which streamlines things even more for many packages, and allows cross-compiling for various architectures without the use of Virtual box.

thunderogg

#9 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser wrote:You can't make any manual changes to the source outside the /debian folder, that's why that error occurred.
Strange. I didn't make any changes at all. Just followed the instructions in the link you posted. Didn't know that the 8 in ~bpo8+ was the version number. Should have guessed. Changed now to ~bpo9+. Same result as before. I've repeated this procedure now several times. Don't know what I'm missing. :?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

thunderogg

#10 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser:

This is the build command taken from https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
Doesn't work

This is the build command taken from https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial:

debuild -b -uc -us
Works

I found this command as part of a debug command also on https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial

dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc -us
This works also...

So which command should I use?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

I think the "-b" command is the same as "binary", which will ignore any changes you have made to the original source, plus no creation of new debianized source files. Thus no error. You could always look at the file in /tmp that details the changes, for your first post with the error, the command would be

cat /tmp/thunar_1.6.12-1~bpo8+1.diff.mvJ3ul
You just have to copy and paste the actual file name from the error message.

thunderogg

#12 Post by thunderogg »

Man, that's a 9k diff file filled with code. :shock: A patch with my name on it. :o There is no error code to find there. It's seems to be the whole patch. Is that it--doesn't it accept the patch? Huh! I must have done something fundamentally wrong. :?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

thunderogg

#13 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser:
So I did some testing. The problem occurs when I give the command:

dch --local ~bpo9+ --distribution stretch-backports "Rebuild for stretch-backports."
But if I leave out the tilda character and give this command:

dch --local bpo9+ --distribution stretch-backports "Rebuild for stretch-backports."
everything works fine. I know the tilda character is supposed to make it possible to automatically
update with newer packages from Debian. But I guess I can live without that. :-)
Thanks for putting me on the right track!
Debian 12 / Xfce4

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Odd, when we backport, we just run

dch -i
and then save the file over the existing debian/changelog (using nano). You can add your changes in nano, but I then use a GUI text editor to finish editing the file by copying in some boilerplate text for MX. I don't know why you're getting an error, since we are supposed to be able to change text files in /debian without it affecting the build. The diff you looked at is a big patch that essentially adds the debian folder to the original source, but buried in it should be some clue as to what's getting changed in the original source.

Here, I can just upload my source modified in that way into the free openSUSE Build Service, and it will build Stretch packages: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... rts/thunar

I changed ~bpo9+1 to bpo9 because the OBS doesn't recognize the "+" symbol in package versions, but it's a cosmetic change. An official stretch-backports package with the "+1" will then update over mine if anyone ever does one, though.

thunderogg

#15 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser wrote:You can add your changes in nano
Or Vim. :-) But it's the same effect as long as I put in the tilde character... If I leave that out, everything is fine.
I am quite happy now. To be able to backport packages like this gives you a lot more freedom. And it
makes it easier to stick with Stretch Xfce4.
Debian 12 / Xfce4

thunderogg

#16 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser wrote:I changed ~bpo9+1 to bpo9 because the OBS doesn't recognize the "+" symbol in package versions, but it's a cosmetic change. An official stretch-backports package with the "+1" will then update over mine if anyone ever does one, though.
So it would be better for me too to leave out the "+" character. It would take care of the function I lost when removing the "~" character. Is that correct?
Debian 12 / Xfce4

stevepusser

#17 Post by stevepusser »

Not recognizing the "+" is just a pecularity of the OBS. What is more important the the Debian versioning system ranks the tilde "~" symbol as lower than any other, so that guarantees that a backports version will be seen as lower than the equivalent version in the next stable release. Since you aren't concerned about that, (like we aren't at MX, either) you can go on with your homebuilt version, it should work just fine.

So the versioning system sees foo-1.2-3 > foo-1.2-3~bpo9+1 > foo-1.2-2

thunderogg

#18 Post by thunderogg »

stevepusser wrote:Since you aren't concerned about that, (like we aren't at MX, either) you can go on with your homebuilt version, it should work just fine.
Good! Thanks very much for all the insight! :D
Debian 12 / Xfce4