Video choppy regression? Nvidia? on stable

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Video choppy regression? Nvidia? on stable

Postby neodeb » 2018-06-26 19:12

First of all I will never buy another Nvidia card. But I don't know if end of line for the 304 driver is related.

I have four computers that utilize the Nvidia 304 driver on their similar cards. Every damn one of them started stuttering and play video choppy. Especially 1080; but also 720 movies.

Now I had upgraded a SSD before the problem started. Therefore; I put the now older (cloned from) original SSD in my media computer and guess what? No video stuttering (at 1080) and it was fine. Until I (deb stable) upgraded it and bam! Stuttering and suspect CPU over usage is back. I was using VLC and noticed it had some upgrades(in that batch). But Videos (totem) player also stutters; just a little less worse. VLC used to be best. So I don't know if some upgrade took them both out. THe media computer GPU gets overheated and shuts down.

On one of my other boxes I was just trying to play online videos (480p or less) and that system also overheated and shut down! It never does that and has been one of my most stable and quiet. So upgrades are actually killing my computers and that is not stability on Deb stable.

Bugs reports are extremely confusing as these type of bugs are supposed to be fixed in the past. So regression? How can I tell?

All this has gotten EXTREMELY complicated on a STABLE OS. I run stable to avoid all this. I don't know where to start. Please help.
Open is freedom.
neodeb

Re: Video choppy regression? Nvidia? on stable

Postby stevepusser » 2018-06-27 00:42

I agree that it shouldn't happen on Stable. But not knowing what you upgraded that might have caused this makes finding the cause very difficult, if not impossible. The right way to approach this would be to just update the minimum amount of packages at a time, which Synaptic makes easy, then try and find the point at which the upgrades caused your video to go bad.

Right now, all you have is a history log of updates in /var/log, which probably has a kazillion packages listed in it.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Cinnamon 3.8, Midori 6.0
stevepusser

Postby tmsd » 2018-07-12 18:32

I had the same problem, it seems most of the VLC devs just have fast enough PCs and didn't notice the increasing amount of CPU it took decoding videos. I never tried totem, but mpv solved this issue for me (though it is still too slow for h265 video in 1080).
tmsd

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-07-12 20:29

neodeb wrote:Therefore; I put the now older (cloned from) original SSD in my media computer and guess what? No video stuttering (at 1080) and it was fine. Until I (deb stable) upgraded it and bam! Stuttering and suspect CPU over usage is back. I was using VLC and noticed it had some upgrades(in that batch). But Videos (totem) player also stutters; just a little less worse.

I would first see if the drivers are correctly up to date, and if nvidia-driver is used instead of free nouveau.
Code: Select all
lspci -k

should tell us which drivers are used. VLC got upgraded to version 3.0 a while back, even in Stable (to fix security bugs easier). I don't know if nvidia-driver got updates, it should not be the case, excluding point-release updates.
Wheelerof4te

Return to Desktop & Multimedia