Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to convert any image to wallpaper?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
eveanne

How to convert any image to wallpaper?

#1 Post by eveanne »

How do I convert any image format (jpg, png, etc.) to wallpaper?

On some of my virtual desktops I have images which I found on the net, downloaded, converted from jpg to wallpaper format, and then used them as wallpaper for specific virtual desktops.

Unfortunately I don't remember how I did this. It was a couple of years ago, but it seems reasonable that it should still be possible to do this. After all, I still use the same system: Debian 8.11 Jessie, with Plasma SC Version 4.14.2.

I am very grateful for all help.
Thank you.
Eveanne

Segfault

Re: How to convert any image to wallpaper?

#2 Post by Segfault »

What is "wallpaper format"? Never heard of this thing.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

.jpg is a picture. "Wallpaper" is just a big picture, used as a background.

I don't know of any "conversion".

You just use the .jpg as a background picture.

If the .jpg is too small or of the wrong proportions the end result will be poor.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

You can use ImageMagick, and the convert command to convert images to any standard format, IE: jpg to png, png to gif, jpg to gif, etc.... There is no such thing as "wallpaper format", at least on Debian that I know of. If you want to use a image for background or wall paper, (really the same thing but different words), then probably you mean size ?
Same, install ImageMagick, and you can use the resize command to make them the right size for your screen. For example, my screen is 1400 x 900, so I resize the images I want to use to that size.

eveanne

#5 Post by eveanne »

Thank you all for your replies.

I am terribly sorry. I had completely misunderstood how this works. I thought the reason I couldn't select any of my own images was that they are in a format that the Desktop Settings device doesn't accept.
A more appropriate question might be:

How do I make any image available in the "Wallpaper Menu:" in the Desktop Settings?

When I try to set a new picture as wallpaper for a certain Virtual Desktop, the only options I get are a set of pictures which came with Plasma. These are all really, really awful.
I have therefore downloaded pictures of my own, which I would like to use as wallpapers, but I don't understand how to "reach" them? Should I put them in a certain folder in order to make these pictures "available" to the Desktop Settings function? In that case, what folder?
I have gone through all the (visible) folders in /Home/~ , but there is no folder for wallpaper pictures.

I would be very grateful for all help.
Thank you.
Eveanne

eveanne

How to Make Any Image Available in the "Wallpaper Menu"?

#6 Post by eveanne »

How do I make any image available in the "Wallpaper Menu:" in the Desktop Settings?

When I try to set a new picture as wallpaper for a certain Virtual Desktop, the only option I get is a set of pictures which came with Plasma. These are all really, really awful.
I have therefore downloaded pictures of my own, which I would like to use as wallpapers, but I don't understand how to "reach" them? (that is, how to make them appear in the "Wallpaper:" menu" in "Desktop Settings")?

Should I put them in a certain folder in order to make these pictures "available" to the Desktop Settings function? In that case, what folder?

I have gone through all the (visible) folders in /Home/~ , but there is no folder for wallpaper pictures.

I would be very grateful for all help.
Thank you.
Eveanne

roseway

#7 Post by roseway »

Right click on the Plasma desktop and select "Desktop Settings". In the wallpaper section there's a button labelled "Open". Click this and select your wallpaper. Afterwards this wallpaper will appear in the display of thumbnails.
Eric

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

some DEs allso have an option to add a folder to your desktop wallpaper menu.
it's all really quite easy. click around. crucial clicks require confirmation, so you won't easily make a wrong click.

debiman

Re: How to Make Any Image Available in the "Wallpaper Menu"?

#9 Post by debiman »

Any picture?
unlikely.
as i said in your other thread, maybe you can add a whole dedicated folder.
or just navigate to the pic you want.

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

Try using the 'mkdir' command,

Code: Select all

man mkdir

Code: Select all

mkdir wallpaper
will create a directory named wallpaper , then you can put all the images you want to use for wallpapers in that directory.
the only options I get are a set of pictures which came with Plasma. These are all really, really awful.
This is one of the many problems with clicky dicky GUI interfaces, you only get the options that some idiot decided to give you. It would be to your advantage to learn how to use the CLI a little.

eveanne

Re: How to Make Any Image Available in the "Wallpaper Menu"?

#11 Post by eveanne »

I am sorry. I expressed myself in a clumsy way.

What I meant was *A* picture, as in one picture or (preferably) a whole dedicated folder, as you suggest.

Could you please tell me how to do that?

Thank you.
Eveanne

eveanne

#12 Post by eveanne »

Thank you all, for all your helpful suggestions.

A special thank you to Eric though. Your advise was succinct, spot on, and exactly what I needed.

A bright, warm and sunny world to you all.
Eveanne