Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Very slow video playback required

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
pcalvert

Very slow video playback required

#1 Post by pcalvert »

I'd like to be able to examine videos very closely, frame by frame. Is there a program that would allow me to easily do something like this?:

1. Show the first frame for 3 seconds
2. Jump forward by 10 frames
3. Pause for 3 seconds
4. Jump forward by 10 frames
5. Pause for 3 seconds
6. And so on...

Although I'd prefer to use a Linux program to do this, I will consider Windows (freeware) programs as well.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

llivv

Re: Very slow video playback required

#2 Post by llivv »

check zoneminder to see if it fits your needs
available in buster >
https://packages.debian.org/buster/zoneminder
https://manpages.debian.org/testing/zon ... .1.en.html
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

I don't know of any program that can automatically perform those steps you describe, though you may be able to script that action for one. Most players can slow down playback to where they are going frame by frame, and then you can pause to examine one that catches your interest. I I know SMPlayer will allow you to advance frame by frame also. Perhaps the Avidemux video editor will also allow you to do this--it does have a control that allows you to advance and rewind at will. Avidemux has an Appimage, since it's not in the Debian repos, and you have to be careful about adding anything from the deb-multimedia repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Pretty fun, play with this?

Code: Select all

$ vlc --antiflicker-softening-size 10  --rate .025 Lews\ Mach\ II\ Speed\ Spin\ Series.mp4
rate .00000000001 seems to be around 1 sec, don't know how low it goes? Don't different formats have different fps? Not sure how you could calculate exactly ten frames every 3 sec.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

Frame by frame in the digital world? How does that work? In the days of film movies were made by taking a series of pictures and playing them back frame by frame (hence the term movie). Does digital mimic that?

As to the OP's question, slowing down playback and hitting pause is probably what he will end up doing.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

mpv --speed=0.01 seems to be around 3sec?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bulkley wrote:In the days of film movies were made by taking a series of pictures and playing them back frame by frame (hence the term movie). Does digital mimic that?
Yes :)

For example, if you have some individual frames named image_x.png (where x is a number) then you can use this to make a movie from them:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i image_%d.png movie.mp4
(Sorry for the OT, OP.)
deadbang

pcalvert

#8 Post by pcalvert »

Thank you for the suggestions!

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.