[Chromium] Videos and GIFs are garbled up

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[Chromium] Videos and GIFs are garbled up

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2019-07-11 11:08

I am running Chromium Version 73.0.3683.75 (Developer Build) built on Debian buster/sid, running on Debian 10.0 (64-bit). Everything works just fine, except videos and GIFs ESPECIALLY in Facebook (http://www.facebook.com) look like this: https://flic.kr/p/2gwg6Q5

The shapes move, and there's sound, but they look like they'd been taken with thermal camera. I enabled and disabled chrome://flags options, reset them to defaults, and nothing worked. This problem is most commonly seen in Facebook, but one or two times, I saw it on YouTube as well. I should point out that Facebook videos had been problematic even on prior versions of Chrome (but at that time, the video simply wouldn't play, not like this). Also, I tested Chrome from Google (which is version 75.*) and the problem wasn't present there.

Given the odd nature of the problem, I couldn't really figure out where exactly I should post about it, so I decided to post here. Any advice in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Re: [Chromium] Videos and GIFs are garbled up

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-07-11 17:06

Does this still happen with a fresh profile?

What is your video hardware & drivers?
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-11 17:10

You posted it in the right area. Chromium is a desktop application and your problem is most likely related to video drivers. I happen to remember you're using AMD card? Which kernel driver are you using, amdgpu or radeon? Install inxi and post the output of:
Code: Select all
inxi -G

as a normal user.

Also off-topic, but you seem to be Vincent Law fanboy. He's a really cool guy, but I wouldn't wanna be around him, you know? :)
"There is no such thing as truth in this world. That is our reality. Anyone can become a God or a Devil. All it takes is for someone to claim that to be the truth."
Wheelerof4te

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2019-07-12 05:40

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Does this still happen with a fresh profile?

What is your video hardware & drivers?

Yes, it happens with a fresh profile as well.
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2019-07-12 05:54

Wheelerof4te wrote:You posted it in the right area. Chromium is a desktop application and your problem is most likely related to video drivers. I happen to remember you're using AMD card? Which kernel driver are you using, amdgpu or radeon? Install inxi and post the output of:
Code: Select all
inxi -G

as a normal user.

Also off-topic, but you seem to be Vincent Law fanboy. He's a really cool guy, but I wouldn't wanna be around him, you know? :)

That's correct! I think we spoke previously on the using AMDGPU kernel driver for Kaveri thread (which I am using successfully as of now)? Here's the output of inxi -G:

Graphics: Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD KAVERI (DRM 3.27.0 4.19.0-5-amd64 LLVM 8.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.1

P. S. Here are some of the things I noticed after creating this thread:

1. The problem disappears in version 73 when I disable hardware acceleration.
2. I installed 75.0.3770.90 from Unstable and the problem isn't present (same as Google Chrome 75*). But when I force enable GPU features such as rasterization in chrome://flags, the problem reappears. I can live with that; whatever acceleration "Use hardware acceleration when available" gives me is good enough. I mean something is better than nothing.

And yes, I am a Vincent Law fanboy! To be precise, a big fan of Ergo Proxy as a whole. And no... wouldn't wanna be near him, either, especially you know when ;)
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-12 10:19

Sajjad Kabir Joy wrote:OpenGL: renderer: AMD KAVERI (DRM 3.27.0 4.19.0-5-amd64 LLVM 8.0.1) v: 4.5 Mesa 19.1.1

Debian 10 is using Mesa 18.3. That is enough to run your card with satisfying performance.
How did you install version 19.1? Did you have the same problem while you were using Debian's version?
Sajjad Kabir Joy wrote:2. I installed 75.0.3770.90 from Unstable and the problem isn't present

There are lots of problems in v73, I don't know why they aren't upgrading chromium. Buster is stable, so the security team should push an upgrade soon. Whenever they feel like it, though. Can't really demand anything from a volunteer community.
But it appears your problem comes from enabling hardware acceleration, which is indeed buggy and that's one of the reasons why it's disabled by default in Linux.
"There is no such thing as truth in this world. That is our reality. Anyone can become a God or a Devil. All it takes is for someone to claim that to be the truth."
Wheelerof4te

Postby Sajjad Kabir Joy » 2019-07-12 13:16

Wheelerof4te wrote:Debian 10 is using Mesa 18.3. That is enough to run your card with satisfying performance.
How did you install version 19.1? Did you have the same problem while you were using Debian's version?

Yes, the video playback was the same with 18.3. Not only that, OpenCL didn't work with this version, either, so I installed 19.1 from Experimental. As far as hardware-decoded video playback on MPV and using OpenCL with GIMP are concerned, it works flawlessly, despite the experimental status of these packages.

Wheelerof4te wrote:But it appears your problem comes from enabling hardware acceleration, which is indeed buggy and that's one of the reasons why it's disabled by default in Linux.

Yeah, and from what I could dig, Radeon GPUs are even less supported by Chromium in GNU/Linux than Intel GPUs. There is apparently some sort of bug that's preventing the migration to 75 on Stable, and I hope it will be resolved soon. But frankly, this package from Unstable seems smoother than 73. And as far as I remember, the option to "Use hardware acceleration when available" in settings menu (not the ones under chrome://flags) was by default turned on, in all versions I used of either Chromium or Google Chrome.
Sajjad Kabir Joy

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2019-07-12 15:53

Sajjad Kabir Joy wrote: As far as hardware-decoded video playback on MPV and using OpenCL with GIMP are concerned, it works flawlessly, despite the experimental status of these packages.

Are you sure OpenCL is working? OpenCL is not part of open-source amdgpu driver, but is is available in AMDGPU-PRO (currently only for Ubuntu and RH/Centos). Maybe you meant OpenGL?
I've also read that hardware accelerated video decode doesn't work on SI/CIK cards running amdgpu driver (because it is considered experimental on those cards). However, radeon driver should offer working hardware accelerated video decode on those cards. So, if you are not using your card for heavy gaming (even then, amdgpu is only a must for vulkan support), switch to using radeon driver.
See if there are problems while running radeon.
Wheelerof4te

Return to Desktop & Multimedia