Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

File manager suggestions?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bluesdog

#61 Post by bluesdog »

If it's no' Scottish, it's crap!

:lol:
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

Soybean

#62 Post by Soybean »

> It is not windows explorer but explorerxp. That is a different application. As for OO, it is not a wordprocessor
> but the whole office. My dream is to get at least a nice rtf word processor. If somebody is going to say that Ted is
> the nicest one, first give me a break to get ready not to explode from laughter. Meanwhile I use Tomahawk under
> wine. But it doesn't support unicode. Alas.

For a nice rtf word processor, oowriter does well. Seeing as you enjoy a large number of features that you've already admitted only you use in your file browsers, it's hard take seriously any complaint of inessential office features you don't need to access by running oowriter by its lonesome. Afterall, if you want only the features only you use, clearly the solution is to code it yourself. Or hire someone to code it for you.

> Not sure what "naut" means. I failed to find explanation of the definition. It's my stupid ethnic fault. Sorry.

Don't apologise for being ethnic. That doesn't make you stupid. It's your arrogance that's causes the problem.
FTR, 'naut' is an abbreviation of nautilus.

jonny_noog

Re: File manager suggestions?

#63 Post by jonny_noog »

Gundamdriver wrote: P.S. BTW, how is e17? It looks nice.
It's good. I likes it. I also likes XFCE, it's what I'm running on my FreeBSD box at the moment.
Last edited by jonny_noog on 2008-03-07 05:06, edited 1 time in total.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.

Issyer

#64 Post by Issyer »

Soybean wrote:Afterall, if you want only the features only you use, clearly the solution is to code it yourself. Or hire someone to code it for you.
Thanks for clarifying. I solved my word processor problem with a crack of TreeDBNotes 3.3 Pro which is great in wine and freely available on the internet. As for coding, I prefer not to invent bicycles. Also I solved my file manager problem by writing pages in PHP and DHTML. HTML is nice but dangerous for health.

jonny_noog

#65 Post by jonny_noog »

Issyer wrote:
Soybean wrote:Afterall, if you want only the features only you use, clearly the solution is to code it yourself. Or hire someone to code it for you.
Thanks for clarifying. I solved my word processor problem with a crack of TreeDBNotes 3.3 Pro which is great in wine and freely available on the internet. As for coding, I prefer not to invent bicycles. Also I solved my file manager problem by writing pages in PHP and DHTML. HTML is nice but dangerous for health.
Oh snap! I just can't resist.

You probably remember from my earlier posts correcting your inaccurate statements on this forum for the good of the Intertubez that I'm a web developer/designer and stong advocate of PHP, but coding some kind of desktop file manager equivalent using PHP and Javascript/HTML (and for gods sake just call it javascript/HTML not DHTML, DHTML was a buzz term from about 5 years ago that only sales people used even then) is plain whacky. That's not what PHP/Javascript/HTML was designed for and you know it. It would be like using a feather to hammer in a nail. Well, not quite that ineffective but the analogy ilustrates my point well enough.

I don't use compiled languages with the work that I do and have little experience with them, but if I was seriously wanting to make a desktop app, I would learn a compiled language and do it properly.

95% of the time I can't figure out what you're talking about, but it sounds to me like you've invented a bicycle alright, just one with square wheels.

1335 posts at the time of this writing and I'd say about 5 might have some useful information in them.

Issyer

#66 Post by Issyer »

jonny_noog wrote:I'm a web developer/designer
I don't want to be rude, but I am happy for you. What have you designed/ developed? I don't care about how that stuff is called until it meet requirements of ECMA and is capable to manipulate the DOM. And PHP and MyCQL. That's why it solves file manager problems. You can write 5 pages instead of 1000.
As for the information, I haven't got anything useful from you at all so far.

demon

#67 Post by demon »

Hey guys, I think, You don't have to push Issyer to much. He is probably little bit joking with you and pissed with few current apps. If you all look around this forum, he knows Linux pretty well I guess, same for programming, don't ya :wink: ?

I little bit agree that Word processing apps are not really nice on Linux. But what is not, it can be. Let's see, maybe not far from now on we will find some great stuff.
Debian Testing 64

Issyer

#68 Post by Issyer »

demon wrote:I little bit agree that Word processing apps are not really nice on Linux. But what is not, it can be. Let's see, maybe not far from now on we will find some great stuff.
I had such an idea as to write a file manager, but I've never tried to program in C. On the other hand why C is needed when there are so many interpreted languages are available. But that suggestion sounds silly as if, for example, if you don't get a proper medical treatment at the hospital, it would be nicer to cure yourself by yourself. OO doesn't "do well". You will notice that, if you open the document in Word Viewer 2003. What's now? Shall I code a word processor? If I could do that why should I go anywhere then? And there's nothing impressive in somebody's knowledge of HTML. What is HTML? It's something for web browsers, not people. How can be one proud of that? Stop bugging me. I am doing a neat little thing in PHP and Javascript!!!, that hopefully will be a hit on the internet and let me make some good money.
Nice city Golden Prague. I wish I visited it some day.

jonny_noog

#69 Post by jonny_noog »

Issyer wrote:
jonny_noog wrote:I'm a web developer/designer
I don't want to be rude, but I am happy for you. What have you designed/ developed? I don't care about how that stuff is called until it meet requirements of ECMA and is capable to manipulate the DOM. And PHP and MyCQL. That's why it solves file manager problems. You can write 5 pages instead of 1000.
As for the information, I haven't got anything useful from you at all so far.
That's great that you're happy for me, buddy. I usually am too. Barring the majority of your response that as usual I do not understand, I will respond to the parts that I do understand.

I doubt that you're really interested in the sites that I have developed or helped develop. But as you asked, here's an extract (some of which I still work on, others are now administered by past and present clients):

The Australian Government Department of Defence
The Australian Government Department of Finance and Deregulation
The Australian Government Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
The Australian Government Child Support Agency (CSA Online project)
The Australian Government Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
The Australian Government National Water Commission
The Australian Federal Police High Tech Crime Centre
The Australian National Police Memorial
The Police Federation of Australia
The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council
The Institute of Public Administration Australia

Various intranets and browser based applications for some of the above and other organisations that are not publically available.

www.ratetheplate.com.au
www.spectrumozasia.com
www.contactairlandandsea.com

Plus many more.

What have you developed/designed?

demon is correct in that you have every right to dislike any app you want, and you also have every right to use whatever tools you like to create whatever replacement app you like (as badly chosen as I think those tools may be). I also do not doubt that you have at least a reasonable amount of experience using Linux. This is not the issue I have with you.

The issue I have with you is that I don't find your humour amusing, if indeed that is what one wishes to call it. Your replies are often unintelligible and/or inaccurate (admittedly allowing some consideration for the fact that you are obviously not a native English speaker). And you generally manage to rub me and others on this forum the wrong way. Whether that is intentional or not I don't know. I hope that it isn't.

And I'll take 5 quality pages over 1000 shitty ones any day. I'm usually paid for the quality of my work, not the quantity. Do they pay for websites by the pound or kilo in your country?

But as Joe Rogan once said: Arguing on the Internet is like running a race in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded. So I don't bother much doing it anymore. And as this post is quite OT for this thread, this will be the last I have to say on this matter.

Issyer

#70 Post by Issyer »

jonny_noog wrote:I do not understand
Another ambitious s*** disturber from a tiny country. How I am sick of the guys like you!

souneedalink

#71 Post by souneedalink »

:lol:

jonny_noog

#72 Post by jonny_noog »

Issyer wrote:
jonny_noog wrote:I do not understand
Another ambitious s*** disturber from a tiny country. How I am sick of the guys like you!
Location of the Republic of Khakassia in Russia

Location of Australia in the World

As they say, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

If you really want to continue this, do it via PM.
Last edited by jonny_noog on 2008-03-08 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Issyer

#73 Post by Issyer »

OK, jonny_noog. Lets forget this arguing and make friends. You are a nice guy. I don't want to insult you. All that was started by the guys who didn't want to admit that file managers and word processors on Linux are crap. Did you really believe that I was so stupid as to tell my real location? It's true that I am originally from Russia, but where the hell that Khakassia is even Russians have no clue.

jonny_noog

#74 Post by jonny_noog »

Very well, Issyer. I will take you at your word. Truce then.

In the spirit of our new found friendly relationship and not to be interpreted as having another go at you, why would you bother to put an erroneous location in your profile? Why not just put nothing?

Issyer

#75 Post by Issyer »

Because having an inferiority complex I immigrated to a nice democratic country (as I thought before). Maybe it's nice and democratic in many ways but I got to such a place where people being the little country guys (not in dimensions but by population) have even a bigger inferiority complex than I had originally. Luckily I leave this place this summer.

fEsTiDiOuS

#76 Post by fEsTiDiOuS »

I know this discussion is like 13 years old, but I'm using Debian 10, and it comes with the "Files" file manager version 3.30.5-stable - And for the life of me I can't figure out how to create a new directory. I've been using Debian for about a year now and every once and a while I find the mystery meat button or click that lets me make a new directory, but usually I just open a terminal and make the folders on the command line. -- Seriously not trying to troll; but the OP has a real point, in general Linux file managers all have some super annoying critical flaw. Every few years the file manager Du Jour gets thrown out for the new hottness and we end up with some other new super annoying "feature". -- We as a community should net be afraid to call out these problems, and to look for solutions.

Ha found it! You have to click on the last part of the path, the name of the directory you are currently in. IMHO this is terrible UI design. The displayed path has an obvious purpose, to tell you what directory you are examining the contents of. If _PART_ of the displayed path is also a button it needs some sort of visual clue that it is also a menu item. - Seriously heinous mystery meat.

Second Edit: Ok there is a little arrow there. It still sucks. There is a clearly defined area to the right of the address bar with buttons, one of which is also a little arrow. It is a break in continuity for there to be a button hidden in the address bar. The arrow in the address bar seems to be there to direct the eye downward to the list of files, I kind of see what the creator was going for but it really fails.

eor2004

Re:

#77 Post by eor2004 »

Issyer wrote:
souneedalink wrote:Do you even use linux?
No, I don't know how. I am such a n00b. I hope you, guys, will teach me. Where is that button with Internet Explorer? When I click on the little square in the lower left corner, it should pop up at the top but doesn't.
By looking at the user profile I think he or she is being sarcastic, I thought a lot more people in here would catch that, LOL :) !
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#78 Post by oswaldkelso »

Back on topic :-)

I install 3 file managers off the bat not including the terminal ( pushd and popd ). THREE I hear you shout!
Yes 3. Why I hear you shout! Because all thee offer different capabilities.

MC midnight for when I have no X
RoxFiler as a general browser. Been using it since 2005 and it's the dogs danglies
Spacefm. Loads of features. I use it because it ties in nicely with udevil. And the 4 pane with each pane being able to be set for differing configs make it super powerful for frequently re-visited directories. The multi tab per pane make it super useful.

I use RoxFiler as my fast single pane browser and Spacefm for things like torrents where many directories need to be organised.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

dice

#79 Post by dice »

oswaldkelso wrote:Back on topic :-)

I install 3 file managers off the bat not including the terminal ( pushd and popd ). THREE I hear you shout!
Yes 3. Why I hear you shout! Because all thee offer different capabilities.

MC midnight for when I have no X
RoxFiler as a general browser. Been using it since 2005 and it's the dogs danglies
Spacefm. Loads of features. I use it because it ties in nicely with udevil. And the 4 pane with each pane being able to be set for differing configs make it super powerful for frequently re-visited directories. The multi tab per pane make it super useful.

I use RoxFiler as my fast single pane browser and Spacefm for things like torrents where many directories need to be organised.
Spacefm ticks all the boxes for me too, i recently found out i can run fsarchiver backup as a right click root menu item on internal and external drives in the devices area. I can also mount dm-crypt drives using pmount inside spacefm as well.