Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing KDE/Gone without all the extra Programs

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sduffy89

Installing KDE/Gone without all the extra Programs

#1 Post by sduffy89 »

How can i install KDE/Gnome without installing a bunch of unecessary programs. I'm trying to keep things as unjunked up as possible :-P. Thx!

jobezone

Re: Installing KDE/Gone without all the extra Programs

#2 Post by jobezone »

sduffy89 wrote:How can i install KDE/Gnome without installing a bunch of unecessary programs. I'm trying to keep things as unjunked up as possible :-P. Thx!
As for Gnome, there are these two meta-packages:

gnome-desktop-environment - The GNOME Desktop Environment

gnome - The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components

sduffy89

#3 Post by sduffy89 »

does KDE have something similar?

lacek

#4 Post by lacek »

Theorically, on what the 'kdebase' package depends, should give you a minimalistic, yet working, KDE environment.
If you want to keep your KDE even more small, you may remove/purge these packages after installing 'kdebase' (I think all of them can be removed, but you have to remove the kdebase metapackage for this, of course):
- konsole (if you have xterm already, but konsole is not much larger, and much more efficient...)
- khelpcenter (if you don't want to browse the help of the programs)
- ktip (if you don't need those 'tips of the day')
- ksysguard (system monitor)
- kate (this is an editor, you may or may not need it)
- kappfinder (finds applications for the menu, you can enter applications by hand as well)
- kpersonalizer (you can do the same in the control center)

Harold

#5 Post by Harold »

As Lacek said, the minimum install for KDE is the "kdebase" metapackage. The executable is /usr/bin/startkde.

The minimum install for Gnome is the "gnome-core" metapackage. The executable is /usr/bin/gnome-session.