Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with msfonts

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
rztrnc

Problems with msfonts

#1 Post by rztrnc »

I've installed fonts that came with windows (like tahoma etc) and I'm having two problems with them: first, xfontsel is not recognizing any of them. I've made the appropriate fonts.scale files and all and I've put the proper paths in xfs' config file (I don't run xfs-tt) and XF86Config. Secondly, gnome and kde recognize them but they appear too blur when anti-aliasing is enabled and too rugged when it's disabled. They used to look fine in some older distros and debian installations I was using. Thanks for any help.

jobezone

Re: Problems with msfonts

#2 Post by jobezone »

rztrnc wrote:I've installed fonts that came with windows (like tahoma etc) and I'm having two problems with them: first, xfontsel is not recognizing any of them. I've made the appropriate fonts.scale files and all and I've put the proper paths in xfs' config file (I don't run xfs-tt) and XF86Config. Secondly, gnome and kde recognize them but they appear too blur when anti-aliasing is enabled and too rugged when it's disabled. They used to look fine in some older distros and debian installations I was using. Thanks for any help.
Just a tip, Sarge uses fontconfig for registering and handling of fonts. Try reconfiguring it with:
# dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig

#3 Post by Guest »

There is a deb available that fetches and does setup for the msttfonts:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/msttcorefonts

-Bob

rztrnc

#4 Post by rztrnc »

I got the jagged fonts thing working. I turned off the autohinter and now it looks good. But xfontsel is still not recognizing them. And I can't use msttcorefonts because I have some fonts not present in that package. But when I install that package (and edit the appropriate config files), the fonts in that pacakage are recognized. So what should I do?