Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Problem with mplayer2 and mozilla plugin for rtsp://

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Spock

[SOLVED]Problem with mplayer2 and mozilla plugin for rtsp://

#1 Post by Spock »

Hi,

I currently have a problem with the plugin for rtsp:// links (real audio streams) in IceWeasel.

I'm using Debian Wheezy RC1 (debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst.iso), downloaded on March 10.

Just after the installation of the system and of the nvidia module package, I installed the mplayer2 and smplayer packages to be able to watch "RealAudio" streams like http://www.tou.tv/infoman/S13E22. It was working quite well : on a click of the video presentation image, the plugin was opening in the web browser and I was able to watch the video.

However, it doesn't work anymore. When I click on the presentation image, IceWeasel asks me which application to use for the rstp links. And I don't know what to do...

I've made no significant package update that could explain this.

I tried to re-install mplayer2 and smplayer (just do a reinstall with Synaptic), but no change, it still doesn't work.

Here are my hypothesis :

- my <6 year old kids are playing web based games on this computer. They might have broke something by accident by using IceWeasel (they could have deleted something in the plugin menu or typed a keyboard shortcut that turned off the plugin)
- weird problem with Firefox sync?
- bug with the plugin itself

I now only see 3 plugins in the Iceweasel plugin list : "Gnome Shell integration", "iTunes application detector", and "Shockwave flash". But I don't know how many plugins there was in this list before the problem occurs, and I don't know the name of the plugin related to the mplayer2 package (is it x-mplayer2?).

Is there a way to repair this ?

Any advices to help me to find a solution to this problem or to identify its root cause are welcomed.

Thank you,
Last edited by Spock on 2013-03-26 01:46, edited 1 time in total.
Using Debian Jessie oldstable

deltaflyer

Re: Problem with mplayer2 and mozilla plugin for rtsp://

#2 Post by deltaflyer »

try using the vlc plugin for realaudio, libvlcplugin.so, which is what i use on the odd occasion i want to view/listen to realaudio
free your computer,use opensource

Spock

#3 Post by Spock »

I know that this plugin exists.

I guess I would have to install the following packages : vlc and browser-plugin-vlc? Is vlc better than mplayer2 for a simple user like me?

However, I would prefer to find the root cause of the problem with mplayer2 and its plugin for Iceweasel. This configuration has worked well until few days ago.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock »

I did the following test :

I created a new user and tried to view the rtsp link with a fresh IceWeasel and gnome configuration.

Result : IceWeasel asks me which application to use for rtsp...

Therefore, it doesn't seems to be related to the user settings. So it's not my kids that have generated this problem! :lol:

Any other ideas?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Odd. As far as I know, SMPlayer can't be used as a browser plugin, except maybe with the mediaplayerconnectivity extension. Maybe you had gecko-mediaplayer installed instead?
MX Linux packager and developer

Spock

#6 Post by Spock »

stevepusser wrote:Odd. As far as I know, SMPlayer can't be used as a browser plugin, except maybe with the mediaplayerconnectivity extension. Maybe you had gecko-mediaplayer installed instead?
Actually, I first installed the mplayer2 package, then I have checked that I was able to watch my rtsp video with Iceweasel, and it was working. Then, I installed smplayer for another reason (Hauppauge HDTV receiver) and the Iceweasel plugin was still working after that. The plugin has been broken after that.

I verified that gecko-mediaplayer is not installed on my system (it is not in green in Synaptic). Moreover, I searched for "gecko" in /var/log/dpkg.log. No traces of "gecko" keyword found there.
Last edited by Spock on 2013-03-24 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Spock

#7 Post by Spock »

Additional information:

Before that I have installed Wheezy - RC1 on March 10, 2013, I used an "old version" of Wheezy installed in January 2012 (which was based on kernel 3.0.something). I have not upgraded the packages after the first weeks of use. I have been able to watch my tv links on tou.tv website for the whole year (but I don't remember which video package I have installed at that time... I think it was from "debian multimedia", and it was definitely not mplayer2).

Then the plugin (which one?) stopped to work at the end of February 2013, exactly like it did yesterday (IceWeasel asked me to select an application for rtsp links). Because of that (and of other problems with the updates of the kernel), I decided, on March 10, to re-install Wheezy RC1 (as mentionned in my first mesage) by deleting my old Wheezy "/" and "/home" partitions. Then it worked well for a few days, but yesterday it stopped to work.

So, to summarize, I got this problem twice, with two different Wheezy installations, and it worked well between the two occurences of the problem.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock »

New tests:

1. Installed mplayer (which removed mplayer2), installed gecko-mediaplayer, reinstalled smplayer :

IceWeasel still ask for an application to read the rtsp:// links.
When I selected /usr/bin/mplayer manually as the application for the rtsp:// links, which opened a mplayer window, the video quality was ugly and not useable.

2. removed gecko-mediaplayer, installed vlc, installed browser-plugin-vlc

IceWeasel still ask for an application to read the rtsp:// links. !!! :evil:
However, I selected /usr/bin/vlc manually as the application for the rtsp:// links, which opened a vlc window, and then the video quality was acceptable, but not as good as just after my installation of Debian RC1 on March 10.

That's really frustrating. I'm not able to get the video to play in an embedded player.

Any advices to investigate about the video quality (codecs?), the use of embedded player or the advanced plugin configuration with Firefox?

Any good tutorial on reading video in Linux (codecs, back end, front end, etc)?

Thanks in advance,

Spock

MoaTib

#9 Post by MoaTib »

It seems that all Radio-Canada services (espace.mu, tou.tv, radio-canada.ca, etc) are affected. I got around the problem by changing the user agent with User Agent Switcher.

The best list of user agent that I found to use with User Agent Switcher (right click > Save Link As):
http://techpatterns.com/downloads/firef ... itcher.xml

Then import the list in the User Agent Switcher option window.

I changed the user agent to "Firefox 10.0.1 (Win 7 64)" and your link works, but on other Radio-Canada services, I also had to accept third party cookies because of their DRM crap!
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

Spock

#10 Post by Spock »

This seems to be a good hint.

I'll look at this.

Merci!

Spock

#11 Post by Spock »

OK, now it works! :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Thank you MoaTib!

Here is exactly what I did :

1. installed the following package : xul-ext-useragentswitcher (http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xul-e ... ntswitcher)
2. uploaded this list of user agents into the useragentswitcher: http://techpatterns.com/downloads/firef ... itcher.xml
3. verified that 3rd parties cookies are accepted
4. selected "Firefox 10.0.1 (Win 7 64)" as user agent.

Windows and Mac user agents seems to work, but not linux ones.

Actually, the plugin that is used to watch the video is the Flash plugin (flashplugin-nonfree), that I have installed before the mplayer2 package.

Spock

Re: [SOLVED]Problem with mplayer2 and mozilla plugin for rts

#12 Post by Spock »

Related blog article (2010)
Comment visionner tou.tv sur Linux – merci pour rien Radio-Canada!
Posted by MagicFab
http://www.fabianrodriguez.com/blog/201 ... dio-canada
UPDATE: ATTENTION – CE CORRECTIF N’EST PLUS NÉCESSAIRE, LE SITE TOU.TV AYANT ÉTÉ CORRIGÉ SUITE À LA PRESSION EXERCÉE PAR NOTRE GROUPE. MERCI!
In my case, the embedded videos of the website http://www.tou.tv were viewable with Debian Wheezy (and without useragentswitcher) until February 2013.

Is this a new problem with tou.tv that we should report to Radio-Canada?

MoaTib

#13 Post by MoaTib »

Spock wrote:Is this a new problem with tou.tv that we should report to Radio-Canada?
Yes, it's a new problem not only on tou.tv but with all their services.

Of course, the best is to complain to our public broadcaster to encourage them to use open audio and video formats. You will find more information here (in French): http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Radio-Canada_Libre
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

Spock

#14 Post by Spock »

http://www.tou.tv/faq
Peut-on regarder les vidéos de Tou.tv sur un système d’exploitation Linux?

En principe, il ne devrait pas y avoir de problème à écouter Tou.tv sur une distribution Linux en autant que vous ayez une version à jour du plugiciel Flash. En cas de problème, nous vous invitons à nous écrire ou encore visiter le groupe Facebook Pour un Tou.tv fonctionnant avec Linux.
My Flash player version is 11.2.202.273. I got it with the package flashplugin-nonfree.

It seems to be the most up to date version of the Flash player for linux on the Adobe website : http://get.adobe.com/fr/flashplayer/otherversions/.

I'll send them a ticket.

Spock

#15 Post by Spock »

I sent a ticket few days ago, but no answer yet.

The following forum thread is about the same subject (in French):

http://ubuntu-qc.124361.n3.nabble.com/R ... 24793.html

Spock

#16 Post by Spock »

It seems that Radio-Canada has corrected its software. It is now working well with flashplugin-nonfree and without useragentswitcher. :arrow: