Enlightenment DR17

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Enlightenment DR17

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-03 18:28

I posted my current desktop, which started a conversation on Enlightenment DR17. I thought it would be best to start a new thread here and field questions.

Enlightenment used to be the default window manager for Gnome when the original developers, Rasterman and Mandrake, worked for Redhat. It's geared towards GTK apps but it will run KDE apps with no problem at all.

Enlightenment is more than a window manager but has less bloat than a desktop. After starting either Gnome or KDE, from a terminal window type in ps ax and you'll see many processes have been started. E on the other hand just needs one executable, so you'll see startx, X and then E, very little memory usage.

DR17 is still very experimental, it took me a few weeks to get my environment setup to compile it from CVS, which I do now on a daily basis. There are deb repositories but they've been a hit and miss proposition in the past, as in they are maintained and then abandoned or moved without notice.

The official E17 Debian repository currently has packages for Sid, still awaiting Etch packages to make it into there.

Ideally, installing from debs is the way to go but if someone wants to compile from source on Etch, I can dig up my notes and post them here.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Postby sargek » 2006-12-03 18:45

E17 is indeed hot. I played with it a bit while I was running Gentoo, but haven't seen it in a few months. I am always facinated by other DEs/Wms, but inevitably come back to Gnome. I may check out E17 again though - it's beautiful and fast.
sargek

Postby Burnside » 2006-12-03 20:12

I've been considering setting this up on my etch machine but I've been a little concerned about mixing testing and unstable (not that I've ever had a problem with mixing repos in the past, but...). Is there anything I should watch out for as part of the install process?
Burnside

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-03 20:38

This is a repository that might work for Debian Etch:

http://seerofsouls.com/ubuntu.html
hcgtv

Postby Burnside » 2006-12-03 21:42

Actually I went ahead and used edevelop, it worked fine.

Well, GDM doesn't list E17 as a startup option but that's easy to fix.
Burnside

Postby thamarok » 2006-12-03 21:45

Enlightenment is cool!
I just installed the DR17 (compiled from source).. I was so excited to run it and WOW! It is very cool and fast too (faster than KDE to be precise)..

The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?

Thanks!
thamarok

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-03 22:10

thamarok wrote:The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?

http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenme ... 09724.html
hcgtv

Postby thamarok » 2006-12-03 23:02

Thanks hcgtv! Be prepared to see another (crazy) Enlightenment user :D
But unfortunately, without using Beryl :(

I don't want to install XGL... If Beryl would work with AIGLX with e17, I would be happy :?
thamarok

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-03 23:33

thamarok,

If I may ask, what version of Debian are you running?

Also, did you need to install any additional libraries to get DR17 compiled?

I'm just curious cause it took me what seemed forever to get a proper compile on Sid, which is what I was running back in June of this year. I've since downgraded to Etch and the compiles are still going fine.

I use Raster's get_e.sh script to grab CVS and compile what I need:
http://www.rasterman.com/files/
hcgtv

Postby sargek » 2006-12-04 01:37

thamarok wrote:Enlightenment is cool!
I just installed the DR17 (compiled from source).. I was so excited to run it and WOW! It is very cool and fast too (faster than KDE to be precise)..

The only problem was that Beryl didn't work.. Has anyone else tried to get Compiz or Beryl to work with Enlightenment?

Thanks!

I had to chuckle - my dead grandmother is faster than KDE... :lol:

Yeah, E17 is very fast - what gets me is it looks so beautiful, has quite a bit of functionality and is still fast. Great combination!
sargek

Re: Enlightenment DR17

Postby rplantz » 2006-12-04 05:02

hcgtv wrote:Ideally, installing from debs is the way to go but if someone wants to compile from source on Etch, I can dig up my notes and post them here.

If it's not too much trouble for you, I would appreciate that.
rplantz

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-04 05:51

Looking back at my notes, this is what I wrote down that I needed to compile DR17:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install -s build-essential cvs libtool libltdl3-dev automake1.9 autotools-dev libpopt-dev libcurl3-dev libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libbz2-dev libid3tag0-dev libpng12-dev libtiff4-dev libungif4-dev libjpeg62-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev bison flex xlibs-dev gettext libimlib2-dev libxml2-dev libxcursor-dev libgtk1.2-dev autoconf pkg-config libpng3-dev

Keep in mind that this was back in June of this year on Sid, it may be a bit different on Etch now since there may be newer packages. There have been fixes in the DR17 code for it to build easier on Debian, so things should go smoother now.
hcgtv

Postby thamarok » 2006-12-04 12:19

Hi again hcgtv! I am using Ubuntu (Edgy and Feisty) and I found a guide somewhere on how to compile E17 in Ubuntu Edgy Eft.

If I can find the guide again, I'll post the link to it..
thamarok

Postby hcgtv » 2006-12-07 21:20

Enlightenment, coming to a PS3 near you:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/e17/
hcgtv

Transparent terms & such for E17

Postby mzilikazi » 2006-12-10 16:52

You can use fake transparency in your terminals w/ esetroot but that's a bit of a hassle. Instead I like to use the Photo module to set the wallpaper which simutaneously sets the background for fake transparency.
Code: Select all
apt-get install emodule0-photo

So, add the photo module to a shelf, configure it and set a wallpaper. Now fire up a terminal and set transparency to Yes. It should work. This also works for conky. Heres a screen.
mzilikazi
Forum Ninja

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia