Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Enlightenment DR17

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
chameleon

#61 Post by chameleon »

I will use your info after I finish work and get back to my linux box.
Keep you posted! :wink:

chameleon

#62 Post by chameleon »

mzilikazi that worked thanks! :wink:

njkt

#63 Post by njkt »

Alright... I downloaded the "easy_e17" build script and ran it, everything went fine until it tried to compile eclaire, here is the make output
easy_e17.sh wrote: eclair_meta_tag.c:76: warning: passing argument 2 of âeclair_media_file_set_field_stringâ makes pointer from integer without a cast
eclair_meta_tag.c:77: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_titleâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:77: warning: passing argument 2 of âeclair_media_file_set_field_stringâ makes pointer from integer without a cast
eclair_meta_tag.c:78: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_albumâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:78: warning: passing argument 2 of âeclair_media_file_set_field_stringâ makes pointer from integer without a cast
eclair_meta_tag.c:79: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_genreâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:79: warning: passing argument 2 of âeclair_media_file_set_field_stringâ makes pointer from integer without a cast
eclair_meta_tag.c:80: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_commentâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:80: warning: passing argument 2 of âeclair_media_file_set_field_stringâ makes pointer from integer without a cast
eclair_meta_tag.c:81: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_yearâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:82: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_trackâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:84: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_file_audiopropertiesâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:86: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_audioproperties_lengthâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:87: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_audioproperties_bitrateâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:88: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_audioproperties_samplerateâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:90: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_tag_free_stringsâ
eclair_meta_tag.c:91: warning: implicit declaration of function âtaglib_file_freeâ
make[3]: *** [eclair_meta_tag.o] Error 1
Not sure what went wrong, has anyone else experienced this problem in the past few days?

Running Sid with the 2.6.20rc6 kernel

hcgtv

#64 Post by hcgtv »

njkt wrote:Alright... I downloaded the "easy_e17" build script and ran it, everything went fine until it tried to compile eclaire, here is the make output
There are times when things don't compile, it's normal, use the -e switch to skip errors and continue.

As long as the libs and e compile, you're good to go.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

hcgtv

#65 Post by hcgtv »

Check out this thread from Zenwalk:
http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php/topic,6066.0.html
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

garrincha

#66 Post by garrincha »

I'm wondering if anyone know how do I pass the -dpi option to the X server with entrance as the default display manager? For example, if you have XDM or KDM as your display manager, you edit the value after -dpi in either /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (for XDM) or /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers for (for KDM).

I have entrance installed for the moment but I cannot seems to find the Xservers file for entrance.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

garrincha

#67 Post by garrincha »

I still have query regarding my post above, so if you have any suggestion please post.

Anyway, I just downloaded the new development release of Elive, you can get it from elivecd.org or from the frontpage of distrowatch.com.

This liveCD is really nice, even their mozilla broswer from which I'm writing this post from is Iceweasel 2.0.0.1 with dropdown menus for elive, enlightenment, debian, GNU/Linux, multimedia and misc. This is the kind of feature that the debian iceweasel team should put on for later release.

The twinkling star effect on the desktop background is novel enough to impress my colleague. There are a lot of features in this elive CD and it works well on my low end PII machine.

Edit: Screenshot of elive LiveCD on my desktop
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

garrincha

#68 Post by garrincha »

Historical page on DR17:

http://www.cuddletech.com/e17/

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#69 Post by canci »

@garrincha: Why don't you just disable the other login managers at
startup using a tool like sysv-rc-conf? That's how I did it with SLiM login
manager. Just disabled GDM and made a script that loads SLiM. As I
didn't know which runtime I should start it, I just copied the script to
the rc*.d folders in the same way GDM was started.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

garrincha

#70 Post by garrincha »

canci wrote:@garrincha: Why don't you just disable the other login managers at
startup using a tool like sysv-rc-conf? That's how I did it with SLiM login
manager. Just disabled GDM and made a script that loads SLiM. As I
didn't know which runtime I should start it, I just copied the script to
the rc*.d folders in the same way GDM was started.
Thanks canci, actually I didn't bother with my original query as I fixed the fonts problem. FYI, I don't have any other login manager other than entrance.

0bm

#71 Post by 0bm »

I think I am the only person on the planet who doesn't like the Enlightenment WM. While it is beautiful and fast as hell, I thought it was a bit disorganized. That's why I love GNOME--- everything is neat and tidy and simple.

Still, if you're looking for eye-candy, Enlightenment certainly delivers the goods.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#72 Post by canci »

GNOME is like a steak - easy to fry but a myriad of callories.
Enlightenment is more like salad - it needs some extra chopping and
slicing but in the end it's very light but still nutritious. :)

Comparing other lightweight WMs Enlightenment is way easier to set up
than eg. Fluxbox.

BTW, I managed to compile e17 on Sarge! Yay me! 8)
When I first tried compiling it, I took the option to make deb packages,
which then for some strange reason wouldn't install and claim to be
missing dependencies. The usual ./configure && make && make install
works, that is unless you stick to building e17 only.
I couldn't get entrance as imlib2 wouldn't compile on my machine.
It was however no dependeny error. Don't remember it though...
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

DeanLinkous

#73 Post by DeanLinkous »

0bm wrote:I think I am the only person on the planet who doesn't like the Enlightenment WM.
you think? :lol:

I think I like about every de/wm I have tried - just some I like better. Tried XFCE for like the tenth time and I so far I have stuck with it a week and now I am really liking it, a lot!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

markupstart

#74 Post by markupstart »

I used this repository for my etch setup to install e17:

deb http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu dapper e17

It worked just fine, I had tried a couple of other ones, which seemed to be dead, so I tried this one and it worked perfect.

E17 has come a long way, it shaping up to be really nice.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#75 Post by mzilikazi »

markupstart wrote:I used this repository for my etch setup to install e17:

deb http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu dapper e17

It worked just fine, I had tried a couple of other ones, which seemed to be dead, so I tried this one and it worked perfect.

E17 has come a long way, it shaping up to be really nice.
It is not advisable to use Ubuntu repositories with Debian. They are not compatible. Sure, you might get away with some things but it is not recommended. Besides, there is a repo for Debian already.

Code: Select all

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian etch main
OR

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
I can only imagine what sort of entertainment you might find if you were to actually mix the repositories.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

garrincha

#76 Post by garrincha »

mzilikazi wrote:Besides, there is a repo for Debian already.

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian etch main
OR

deb http://www.edevelop.org/debian unstable main
I can only imagine what sort of entertainment you might find if you were to actually mix the repositories.
At the moment the e17 package (from edevelop.org) seems to be broken as I get a lot of unmet dependencies issues in my e17 WM/Unstable installation.

Out of curiosity, I tried installing it in etch unfortunately there seems to be no e17 package in the edevelop.org etch repo.

llivv

elive

#77 Post by llivv »

The way I did it was by using the eLive CD. I had to be patient and search for a mirror with suffient bandwidth to get the iso, but it was worth it. The eLive cd is a hacked etch you can load live then use the installer (on the Mac like) apps bar at the bottom of the desktop. The install went flawlessly on my tosiba laptop, even though I made a couple of wrong choices along the way. You get your choice of E16 or E17 at login ,both with the live CD and on the hard drive install. 3D and transparency come straight out of the box, no extra configuration necessary. But there are tons of configurable aspect throughout the entire system, at least ones not available in sarge.
I just saw a few screenshots I haven't seen yet till tonight at http://get-e.org So far I only have 3 or 4 login screen theme choices and I haven't messed with the desktop themes on the laptop. I've been learnin how the sarge enlightenment packages differ from the (official release? from the enlightenment project).
I've been kinda hesitent about using the enlightenment repos, cause it looks to me as if there is stuff from Red Hat and Slack included in the system. Probably just for all our enjoyment, if ya ask me anyway.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#78 Post by mzilikazi »

garrincha wrote:
At the moment the e17 package (from edevelop.org) seems to be broken as I get a lot of unmet dependencies issues in my e17 WM/Unstable installation.

Out of curiosity, I tried installing it in etch unfortunately there seems to be no e17 package in the edevelop.org etch repo.
*Shrug* Unstable repo works fine here. IIRC I used the Unstable repo on Etch as well. I do see that there is nothing in the Etch repo at this time.
Last edited by mzilikazi on 2007-03-30 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Debian Sid Laptops:

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: elive

#79 Post by mzilikazi »

llivv wrote:The way I did it was by using the eLive CD.
I have not toyed w Elive lately but last time I did it used alot of custom packages and you could not use standard Debian repos or you'd break your system for sure. Is this still the case?
Debian Sid Laptops:

llivv

case

#80 Post by llivv »

If you install from the eLive CD, (from my experience) Yes, it is still the case. edit:
mzilikazi wrote: last time I did it used alot of custom packages and you could not use standard Debian repos or you'd break your system for sure. Is this still the case?
/edit
I'm not the final word on this by any means, as I only grasp a small amount of what I actually have working so far. I say this to avoid confussion, I installed eLive CD version elive_0.6.4 and I think elive_0.6.5 is released as well along with previous versions. These version numbers are iso versions and don't reflect on system versions in anyway. If you irc to the default server you may get asked which version you installed.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.